2012 Topps Update: the Gold Parallel returns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoomerSooner

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
So I'm looking at the specifics on the 2012 Topps Update (baseball) boxes, and I notice that they have the Gold parallels back, after excluding them in Series 1 & 2. Now get this, the gold parallels are a 990 card set, which means there is now a gold parallel for EVERY base card in the entire set only in the Update boxes, SN'd x/2012. Why didn't they just put them in each series instead of this?
So we have this in 2012 Topps, & correct me if I'm wrong:
Base(990), golden moments (sparkle)(990), walmart blue(100?), toys r us purple(?100), target red(?100), gold(990), black(990)(x/61), platinum(990)(1/1), wood(990)(1/1), print plates(3960)(1/1), orange(? factory set only, 5 per)...

Set collecting is SO easy...

again my fav quote comes to mind one from Mel Brooks... its the search for more money....

Use to be a set collector...now days...I only collector the ones that I love......currently working on the ice prospect set from 2012 bowman. Best regards, David

So I'm looking at the specifics on the 2012 Topps Update (baseball) boxes, and I notice that they have the Gold parallels back, after excluding them in Series 1 & 2. Now get this, the gold parallels are a 990 card set, which means there is now a gold parallel for EVERY base card in the entire set only in the Update boxes, SN'd x/2012. Why didn't they just put them in each series instead of this?
So we have this in 2012 Topps, & correct me if I'm wrong:
Base(990), golden moments (sparkle)(990), walmart blue(100?), toys r us purple(?100), target red(?100), gold(990), black(990)(x/61), platinum(990)(1/1), wood(990)(1/1), print plates(3960)(1/1), orange(? factory set only, 5 per)...

Set collecting is SO easy...

That's a good thing, you have a load of options to make it as challenging as you want.

Oh, I understand that no one needs ANY cards. But since I started out in this hobby when I was 6 years old, a short 42 years ago, with the idea to collect all of the Mets cards I could, which evolved into every team set of the Mets from Topps, which evolved into every Mets team set from Topps, Fleer & Donruss, then into every team set from Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Pacific, Upper Deck, Ted Williams, Panini, etc, has now de-volved into just Topps again, yet there are almost more cards for this one 2012 Topps team set than there were for the entire 60's & 70's issues combined, a 18 year span. Thats my point, not the definition of hobby 'fun".

Oh, I understand that no one needs ANY cards. But since I started out in this hobby when I was 6 years old, a short 42 years ago, with the idea to collect all of the Mets cards I could, which evolved into every team set of the Mets from Topps, which evolved into every Mets team set from Topps, Fleer & Donruss, then into every team set from Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Pacific, Upper Deck, Ted Williams, Panini, etc, has now de-volved into just Topps again, yet there are almost more cards for this one 2012 Topps team set than there were for the entire 60's & 70's issues combined, a 18 year span. Thats my point, not the definition of hobby 'fun".

Times change. When it was just Topps, people screamed for competition, when they got competition, they screamed the cards were terrible and overproduced, when they improved them and printed less, they screamed they couldn't find them, when they added inserts at astronomical odds, it became a form of gambling that only the rich could get 'good' cards, when they added more 'good' cards, they watered it down too much and the cards 'lost value', when the added parallels, they 'made it impossible for collectors' who then clamored for a simpler time, like 'the good old days', when they brought back 12 card, 99 cent packs with a huge player selection and limited inserts, the cards didn't look good enough. When they allowed more makers and more sets, the collector can't keep up, when they cut back, people want the biggest offender back. Just like your collecting goals, cards have evolved from a childs plaything to a billion dollar industry. This hobby is driven by greed and ego, and will continue to be until it goes back to being a kid's folly and adults heap scorn upon each other if it's found out they still collect.