2013 - Collecting Goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2013 Goals

Having just gotten back into collecting and finding The Bench, my goals are diverse:

1 - Find more great trade partners...made a solid # of deals here in the last few months, but the potential for a lot more is right in front of me.
2 - Get my website up and running so people can see everything I have and want easily
3 - Add some quality cards to my PCs....I was out of collecting for the prime of most of their careers and missed out on a lot of great stuff
4 - Continue to put a dent in my 54 Topps baseball set, including either a Banks or Aaron(stretch goal) RC.

Good luck to everyone with their 2013 goals! -Andy

Try and finish off my 2012 Topps BB Master set or get close to it.

Wow 2012 was a SLOW year for me collecting wise...made less than 30 trades here and several times went over a month without logging on! So my goals for 2013 will be simple....

1 - Log on regularly
2 - Make an average of 5 trades per month.
3- Pick up 1,000 new (to me) Red Sox cards - count as of now 30,234
4 - Work more on organizing, documenting, and scanning my collection - always a work in progress!

Scott

My top collecting goals for 2013 are:

1. Trade for some of these:

2007 Topps Gold #'d /2007: 116 Wakefield, 383 Lester, 413 Crisp, 565 Cora

2004 Topps Gold #'d /2004: 17 Millar, 106 Mendoza, 164 Mueller, 359 Mueller AS, 405 Martinez, 569 Bellhorn

2. Open fewer boxes.

I'm afraid it's unlikely I'll make much progress on either goal. :)

Trevor

Mine was easy.. add 25 new HOF autos that I didn't have.. I've added 2 CM Newton and Buddy Jeanette so far this year

These are my goals for 2013:
- Complete the hockey cards base sets that I only need a handful of cards and it should be reasonable to complete -> 91/92 UD; 1993 Classic; 94/95 Fleer; 95/96 Skybox Impact; 96/97 Pinnacle Zenith; 08/09 Victory
- Not to start any new sets until I've finished some of my uncomplete sets
- Complete at least 3 insert sets
- Complete one parallel set
- Complete one Canadian baseball set

Jeff

Getting players collections up to atleast 100-125 different of each player. Hopefully knocking out some of the harder to find low numbered cards of each

We're at the end of 2013, how did everybody do with their goals? I think I did okay:

1. Cross 5 cards off my Trent Dilfer wantlist. - I got a lot of cool items for my collection, including GU rookie shoes, a used practice jersey, a team-issued jersey, and the original painting used for his 2000 Topps Gallery card, but only managed to cross 2 or 3 cards off my wantlist. It's not like I'm not willing to pay, it's just impossible to find anything I need anymore.

2. Get RCs of Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, and Rollie Fingers. - Got Reggie and Rollie RCs, but not Catfish. Reggie was the main one to get, though!

3. Add 20 cards for my long-term 1988 Topps autographed set project. Currently at 400 but I picked up less than 10 last year. - Added 25 cards to the set, mainly with a buying binge early in the year.

4. Complete 2013 Topps regular and update sets. Finish three sets that are close: 2002 Topps, 1998 Metal Universe, and 2012 Archives. - I completed the 2013 Topps sets and 2012 Archives, but not 1998 Metal or 2002 Topps.

5. Get 2 more pre-war A's cards and pick up at least one GU card for a pre-war A's HOFer I don't have: Eddie Collins, Al Simmons, or Ty Cobb (he has some A's GU). - I picked up several Goudeys (including an awesome '35 Jimmie Foxx) and added an Eddie Collins Topps Tribute bat card and 2 Al Simmons bat cards from National Treasures.

6. Finish adding scans of every Trent Dilfer card in my collection to my site (only have 1994 and 1995 done so far). Finally put up wantlists for Mark McGwire, Rickey Henderson, and Reggie Jackson. - I did the worst on this one...I managed to add 1996 and 1997 Dilfer scans to my site, but that's it. I still haven't put up wantlists for McGwire, Rickey, and Reggie.

7. Get to 1,000 Bench trades completed! - Done!

Richard

I didn't do so hot this year with my goals...

1 - Log on regularly - nope, several times this year, I went over a month without logging in
2 - Make an average of 5 trades per month. - not even close, only 14 trades for the year!
3- Pick up 1,000 new (to me) Red Sox cards - count as of now 30,234 - hooray, I hit one! up to 32,548.
4 - Work more on organizing, documenting, and scanning my collection - always a work in progress! - Not really a finite goal, but did a lot of scanning and organizing this year. I'll call that a goal I hit.

So, 50% here, let's see what 2014 brings!

Scott
Wow 2012 was a SLOW year for me collecting wise...made less than 30 trades here and several times went over a month without logging on! So my goals for 2013 will be simple....

1 - Log on regularly
2 - Make an average of 5 trades per month.
3- Pick up 1,000 new (to me) Red Sox cards - count as of now 30,234
4 - Work more on organizing, documenting, and scanning my collection - always a work in progress!

Scott

2013 Collecting Goals

1) Finish my 1970 Topps set (12 to go)
2) Find 2007 Sweet Spot Soria #123 autograph (last one for set)
3) Pick up another 24 cards for my 1951 Bowman set (2/month)
4) Attend the 2013 National in Chicago
5) Trade more cards from the trade boxes than I add :D

Scott

Got 1,3 and 4 checked off.

#2 has been tougher than I thought it would be. #5 was mostly wishful thinking ... I bought more card storage boxes this year :p

Scott

I'd like to add 3 more game used items of the players I collect. Already added 2009 road Astros Darin Erstad jersey.

I hit this and then some. Added 3 more Erstad gamer jerseys, 1 Erstad bat, 1 Erstad batting helmet, 1 Bucky Jacobsen bat, and unless I'm forgetting something... that's it. Lots of cards too.