Are there any 1993 Topps Gold printing defects without the gold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
A few years ago, someone traded me this 1992 Topps Gold Hensley Meulens card that was missing the gold. It makes for a fairly nice card with the lack of name/team banner at the bottom.

1992ToppsGold_error154.png

That led me to wonder if there were any cards like this from the 1993 set. Has anyone seen any?

A few years ago, someone traded me this 1992 Topps Gold Hensley Meulens card that was missing the gold. It makes for a fairly nice card with the lack of name/team banner at the bottom.

1992ToppsGold_error154.png

That led me to wonder if there were any cards like this from the 1993 set. Has anyone seen any?

I don't know if there are any from that specific set, but if there is one... there are most probably more. I have received Topps cards with out the foil embossing (some silver and some gold.) These are just printing errors that happen when the foil roll is depleted at the printer and the non embossed cards are not 'caught' prior to packaging. Either someone was asleep, did not care, went to lunch, or some other dumb reason - no foil embossing on some of the cards. In years past, one could return the cards to Topps for replacement.

Duane

This isn't a "how much is it worth?" thread, I was just asking if anyone has ever seen a similar card from the 1993 set.

I've never seen one from the 1993 set (I hadn't seen one from 1992 until you posted yours) but given how many cards from that year are out there, and how many backdoored proofs/printers scraps from that time period have come out lately...odds are some exist. I think that Meulens looks cool, like those old "pure" Bowman or SSPC sets.

Richard

The days of simple printing error are gone it seems. Every little print dot becomes a new "variation" in the right group of collectors. Miscuts, wrong backs/fronts, missing ink, etc. I used to toss print defects, but I wish i had them.

Does anyone remember the bulges that some cards would have. i cut one open one time and found what looked like a small piece of rubber band inside. used to see those every so often. if you didn't remove the object inside, it wore out the spot on the raised part of the card. I bet those would sell for a small premium to a player collect now!

To answer the original question though, I have not seen anything like that card. I would have assumed that the gold would look no different than a regular card, just that the foil would cover up the name and such. I'm surprised to see that they may have been blank underneath the foil now. It actually is a pretty neat look, almost vintage-like or something you'd find inserted in some 1979 kids magazine, although the action shot definitely makes it better. A portrait wouldn't look nearly as appealing to me.

I'm always searching for Yankees errors and never came across a copy like your '92 or a '93 for that matter. I'm sure there is something out there though. Every time I think I saw it all I see something new. I think from '93 the blank backs were common. I know my Bernie blank back sticks out when I think of the '93s. When I unearth my error binder I will check what I have for 1993.