Collector speak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otgoal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
When collectors say/What they really mean

"I spent $100.00 on this box and got absolutely nothing good. I'll never buy
one of those boxes again"
(Translation) "I'll pick up another box because it will
have to be better than the first one"

"I trade by book value"
(Translation) Yes, I'll trade twenty-five $1 cards for a 1993 Bowman Derek Jeter"

"I pulled a Derek Jeter card serial numbered 26/99. Jeter
was born on the 26th of June"
(Translation) "I just pulled a Derek Jeter 1/1"

"I had to run into Walmart to pick up some diapers and Kleenex, so I
picked up some cards on my way to the register"
(Translation) "I wanted to rip some packs, so I told my wife I'd volunteer
to go to the store and buy diapers and Kleenex"

This is my LAST year of buying Topps products, their monopoly is ruining this hobby.
translation: I'll be buying next year anyway

I'm leaving this hobby/site, the people are ruining it for me.
translation: Hopefully a bunch of people tell me not to go in my goodbye thread so I can get a nice ego boost, then I'll announce I'm staying after all.

This is my LAST year of buying Topps products, their monopoly is ruining this hobby.
translation: I'll be buying next year anyway

I'm leaving this hobby/site, the people are ruining it for me.
translation: Hopefully a bunch of people tell me not to go in my goodbye thread so I can get a nice ego boost, then I'll announce I'm staying after all.

now isnt that the truth.

but this does meter a good idea though. we do get alot of new members, and after being out of the hobby for many years, coming to this group about a year or so ago, so many "terms" or "longo" terms are confusing i know i had to ask what TTM'ing was as i had never herd of that before. so anywayyyyysss i think it might be a good idea for a group of us to make a "Bench Disctionary of Terms" and have it possibly on the banner or in the FAQ's that newb's can use to translate what were saying without feeling stupid in posting a hey what does that mean post.

dave

Not card related... but the way I think each year....

"The Pirates look good on paper this year - we are going to have a winning season!"
Translation: There's always next year!