Cool Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thats quite the project. Its hard enough getting an autograph of every player to appear for a team as is, but even more difficult when they all must be on the same custom design. Good luck to him, would be amazing if he could finish it.

I assume that he'll frame cuts to keep the design consistent, for the deceased players.

It would be impossible to get every one signed on the customs, as many players have already died, but using cuts or 3x5s within the frame, it is very possible.

Luckily most Mets players are fairly cheap as they have few HoFers, with the ones they do still being alive and somewhat affordable outside of Casey Stengle, and they have only been around since the early 60s. At least he did not pick a team that has been around since the 1880s! Gil Hodges is a toughy to pick up. I am also pretty sure several of the guys that played minimal amounts of time back in the day are the hardest to get .

It usually is those obscure players that didn't play long, didn't sign much, maybe moved to their native countries and then of course those who died young. A short team history and a lack of many franchise players certainly doesn't hurt!

Hodges is expensive, not tough. There are plenty of Hodges autographs out there.

I don't know Mets players that well, so I can't really come up with an example, but one I would use if say you were a Cubs collector would be Ken Hubbs. Tough and therefore very expensive.

I've been working on a similar project for the better part of 20 years, and another member here, Ritchie, is also. Mrmopar is right on the money when he said the little known guys who played just a few games are the tough ones. Hodges, Stengel, easy to find, a little pricey but easy. The guidelines of your project also dictate how tough its going to be, IMO. I set out to get 1 signature from every Mets player on a baseball card. But I realized quickly that there were alot of guys who played a few games for the Mets but never appeared on a card in Mets uniform. So you make a custom or use a Wiz card. Then you have the issue of the guys who are deceased, who died before the Wiz set came out(Wiz set is huge, every Mets player up to 1991 on small paper cards), then you have to find a cut for your custom card, in just the right size to fit and authentic. And then you have to be cautious, there are scumbags out there who are selling fake sigs from rare, tough to find guys and it's easy to spend alot of money for a key piece of your project only to realize its a fraud.
I suspect 2 out of 3 Nino Espinosa signed cards on Ebay are fakes. I was lucky, I got him in person before he passed away and his "new" sigs don't match. Sammy Drake from the '62 Mets isn't easy. Neither is Sherman Jones from 1962. And Geremi Gonzalez from 2006, on a Mets card, is pretty tough, IMO. I'm sure Ritchie can add a few names to the list. How about Mike Bishop from 1983?

that is a crazy project. But it's got me thinking about how awesome a similar project would be for my Cubs...hmmm....

I know Sammy passed away recently, but Solly Drake is also very tough for Dodger collectors too. I found that Drake (Solly) is a minister at a church in LA. My email request to see if a card would be signed for a donation to the church was ignored. You'd think the guy would get a clue and raise some money for his church, as I would think the demand for a tough signature would be enough after years of not signing, but I guess it's not worth his time!!

I suppose I could send a card and donation and hope for the best, but frankly my charitable efforts would be better spent in areas I specifically support unless I know I am getting a signature for sure!

I ended up getting a 57 Topps card (Cubs) signed from a dealer on ebay who sold me a couple sizable lots of 1955 and 1956 Topps cards, signed. Everything looked pretty good in the 2 lots and the Drake was part of a 57 Topps lot he was selling. I have no reason to believe it is not good, but I don't have any good examples of Drake to compare and seeing the signature clearly on that busy 57 card is tough as it is.

I've been working on a similar project for the better part of 20 years, and another member here, Ritchie, is also. Mrmopar is right on the money when he said the little known guys who played just a few games are the tough ones. Hodges, Stengel, easy to find, a little pricey but easy. The guidelines of your project also dictate how tough its going to be, IMO. I set out to get 1 signature from every Mets player on a baseball card. But I realized quickly that there were alot of guys who played a few games for the Mets but never appeared on a card in Mets uniform. So you make a custom or use a Wiz card. Then you have the issue of the guys who are deceased, who died before the Wiz set came out(Wiz set is huge, every Mets player up to 1991 on small paper cards), then you have to find a cut for your custom card, in just the right size to fit and authentic. And then you have to be cautious, there are scumbags out there who are selling fake sigs from rare, tough to find guys and it's easy to spend alot of money for a key piece of your project only to realize its a fraud.
I suspect 2 out of 3 Nino Espinosa signed cards on Ebay are fakes. I was lucky, I got him in person before he passed away and his "new" sigs don't match. Sammy Drake from the '62 Mets isn't easy. Neither is Sherman Jones from 1962. And Geremi Gonzalez from 2006, on a Mets card, is pretty tough, IMO. I'm sure Ritchie can add a few names to the list. How about Mike Bishop from 1983?