Counterfeiter lists phone number on eBay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cletus_83

Pro
5.00 star(s)
So I was looking for Longhorns stuff on the Bay, and I ran across items from this seller. It's pretty clear to me that he is a counterfeiter. The funny thing is, he lists his phone number in the item description. I've got half a mind to call him and cuss him out, but so far I've just been contacting his former buyers and telling them to get their money back.

I've reported several sellers to eBay, but as long as they are getting their 10% I don't think they care too much. I'll be keeping an eye on this one, though. It's sad to think that he's sold hundreds of these... hopefully that comes to an end soon.

In the meantime, if you have some free time and unlimited minutes, feel free to let this guy know how you feel about counterfeiters :)

As an example, here is a real Jordan Shipley auto:
realship.jpg

and here is one of his Jordan Shipley autos.

fakeship.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to accuse.

1)Just because someone has a fake up for sale doesn't necessarily mean they're the forger. I put a Ripken auto'd card up on ebay a while back and it got yanked by the Ripken organization thru the Vero program. I listed it with the coa that came with it and a good sized clear pic and although it looks different from his typical auto I was selling it but I certainly wasn't the forger, if it is indeed a fake.

2) The seller has exemplary feedback and star ratings from 100's of auto buyers. Looks like they're either selling legit items or is one heck of a great forger. If they forged all those other items so accurately I wouldn't think they'd be so sloppy on Shipley's.

You also have to realize that in person autos vary a lot in some cases compared to certified autos.

I agree with all of the above statements. We all know ebay is 80% forged items for sale. The autograph selling is huge money for sellers and ebay. Ebay will not do anything to stop it, to much money in their pockets. But he may have bought it off someone else or got it in person. I got a david Wright auto in person and it was very different looking than the one I had on a topps card, so who knows. But I agree that attacking this sellers is of no use at all. It may not be his fault if it is a fake, and sellers have to work hard to get decent feedback these days, people will leave bad feedback for stupid things, by contacting the other buyers and telling them to get refunds might ruin him as a seller. You should email him and ask him some questions about the item first, tthen you might have a better idea of what the deal is, is he a forger or just another victim of a forger. just my opinion

Look at his other items for sale/items sold in the past- They are all the same. If this guy is the "victim" of fake autographs, he must have bought a bunch of them at once. Secondly, look at his autographs on other items, too. Many of them appear to be fake, not just Shipley's. Just because he has good feedback does not mean that they are real... it just means that people are gullible/uneducated, and that people in the know haven't stepped up to call him on it.

I'm not so sure that is very good proof.
i have
a PSA/DNA auto of d jeter, very early, it doesn't look like any of his current stuff

iwould also take into account the surfaces that many autos, flat versus rounded, are written on

Look at his other items for sale/items sold in the past- They are all the same. If this guy is the "victim" of fake autographs, he must have bought a bunch of them at once. Secondly, look at his autographs on other items, too. Many of them appear to be fake, not just Shipley's. Just because he has good feedback does not mean that they are real... it just means that people are gullible/uneducated, and that people in the know haven't stepped up to call him on it.

So you want us to call a guy and harass him, as you are busy trashing his reputation to his customers, based on your opinion? Until you come up with solid proof, it sounds like libel and slander.

I also have one question.

Who in their right mind would post their phone number if they are ripping people off?

Wow... there sure are a lot of apologists for this guy. I feel sorry for your autograph collections if you can't see that these are fake. These were all signed within the past 2-3 years, as opposed to an early Jeter signature, and on one of his auctions, two players weren't even on the team at the same time. (I know, I know... you could still get them to both sign it. Spare me.) If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

So I actually did call this guy, pretending to be an interested bidder, and after twice asking him where the COA was from, he made up some company in Florida that doesn't check out. He told me that he bought out some guy's collection for $10K, and then later he said that the guy he bought it from bought it from someone else. Whenever I started bringing up reservations about buying autographs, he said "that's a good-looking football" and told me that he's just selling what was sold to him, that he wasn't an expert on the subject. (Really, you're going to drop $10K on autographs and not know what you're doing?) And when I asked if he knew how they were signed, he asked me what my eBay handle is. Oh, and he said that he had only sold about 7 Texas items in the past, when his seller history says that he's sold more than double that in the last 2 years. He kept telling me that he only had a few Texas items left. We'll see.

Maybe this guys was duped and is just selling someone else's counterfeits, but my BS meter is pretty fine-tuned and it was going off when talking to this guy. Apologize for him all you want... I'll be over here trying to help people not get ripped off.

Maybe he's posting a number to add credibility, thinking that most people will figure "who would post their phone number if they are selling fake stuff?" Then, if someone calls, he can just say "I bought it from a guy who bought it from another guy."

So which one of these is real & which is fake?

I'm guessing that you're trying to trick me, and that they're both real, but that's a total shot in the dark. Showing two autos and asking me to pick the fake one is a lot different than listing a bunch of autos on eBay that all look fishy. I don't know Manny's signature, and I'm not going to start researching it for your little game. You haven't listed any source for them, and I don't collect Manny so I'm not sure what his signature looks like now or has looked like in the past. I do collect Longhorns, however, so I feel confident in saying that none of those signatures looks authentic. And, this guy has listed a very suspicious source. Tell me this... do you think that his stuff is real?

Maybe he's posting a number to add credibility, thinking that most people will figure "who would post their phone number if they are selling fake stuff?" Then, if someone calls, he can just say "I bought it from a guy who bought it from another guy."

I'm guessing that you're trying to trick me, and that they're both real, but that's a total shot in the dark. Showing two autos and asking me to pick the fake one is a lot different than listing a bunch of autos on eBay that all look fishy. I don't know Manny's signature, and I'm not going to start researching it for your little game. You haven't listed any source for them, and I don't collect Manny so I'm not sure what his signature looks like now or has looked like in the past. I do collect Longhorns, however, so I feel confident in saying that none of those signatures looks authentic. And, this guy has listed a very suspicious source. Tell me this... do you think that his stuff is real?

I'm making a point that pack pulled certified autos and in person autos don't always look the same.

In your very first post you are comparing 2 different kind of autos. How about you compare 2 in person autos instead of a certified & an in person.

I'm also guessing that you haven't witnessed or seen every single auto Shipley has signed so how do you know it's real or fake? Have you ever got his auto in person at something other than a sit down signing?

I'm also not defending this guy like you think. Maybe he is selling fakes but you have no right posting and bashing him on a site he has no access to to defend himself.

Most people here probably don't buy that crap to begin with so why would we care. Personally I would never buy an auto off Ebay unless it was a pack pulled certified auto. Anybody can make a COA on their computer in this day and age.

Wow... there sure are a lot of apologists for this guy. I feel sorry for your autograph collections if you can't see that these are fake. These were all signed within the past 2-3 years, as opposed to an early Jeter signature, and on one of his auctions, two players weren't even on the team at the same time. (I know, I know... you could still get them to both sign it. Spare me.) If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

So I actually did call this guy, pretending to be an interested bidder, and after twice asking him where the COA was from, he made up some company in Florida that doesn't check out. He told me that he bought out some guy's collection for $10K, and then later he said that the guy he bought it from bought it from someone else. Whenever I started bringing up reservations about buying autographs, he said "that's a good-looking football" and told me that he's just selling what was sold to him, that he wasn't an expert on the subject. (Really, you're going to drop $10K on autographs and not know what you're doing?) And when I asked if he knew how they were signed, he asked me what my eBay handle is. Oh, and he said that he had only sold about 7 Texas items in the past, when his seller history says that he's sold more than double that in the last 2 years. He kept telling me that he only had a few Texas items left. We'll see.

Maybe this guys was duped and is just selling someone else's counterfeits, but my BS meter is pretty fine-tuned and it was going off when talking to this guy. Apologize for him all you want... I'll be over here trying to help people not get ripped off.

Who's being an apologist? All we are asking is the same thing you would get asked in a court of law, where is the PROOF? You are interfering in this persons business affairs, asking others to harass him, and offer ZERO proof to back up your accusations unless you count 'I know Texas Football'. If they are fake, get the authorities involved, give them proof, and they'll go after him. I'm sure the players would be interested in seeing them caught, probably the longhorns too, since their images are being used that way. Have you contacted any of them? Until you do, all you are doing is harassing and making unproven allegations that could amount to slander and libel on your part, which could put YOU as the one facing criminal or civil charges.

I'm making a point that pack pulled certified autos and in person autos don't always look the same.

In your very first post you are comparing 2 different kind of autos. How about you compare 2 in person autos instead of a certified & an in person.
Did I ever say that pack pulled auto and IP autos look the same?
How's this and this and this for comparison. Non are PSA DNA, but they look a lot closer to his pack-pulled stuff, and seem like more reputable sources.

I'm also guessing that you haven't witnessed or seen every single auto Shipley has signed so how do you know it's real or fake? Have you ever got his auto in person at something other than a sit down signing?
Good guesswork. I know that it's fake because it is obvious. I haven't ever gotten his auto "in person at something other than a sit down signing", but if I did I can guarantee it wouldn't look like that.
I'm also not defending this guy like you think. Maybe he is selling fakes but you have no right posting and bashing him on a site he has no access to to defend himself.
Sure I do. I'm commenting on the fact that a counterfeiter actually posted his number on eBay. If you are worried about him not being able to defend himself, go ahead and call him up or send him a message and give him a link to The Bench.
Most people here probably don't buy that crap to begin with so why would we care. Personally I would never buy an auto off Ebay unless it was a pack pulled certified auto. Anybody can make a COA on their computer in this day and age.
By "that crap" are you referring to the types of items he has for sale, or are you saying that his stuff is obviously fake (i.e. "crap")? Why would you care? I don't know... I thought it was funny so I posted it. Forgive me if I'm the first person to post something that you don't care about.

BTW, you never answered my question. Do you think it's real?

Who's being an apologist? All we are asking is the same thing you would get asked in a court of law, where is the PROOF? You are interfering in this persons business affairs, asking others to harass him, and offer ZERO proof to back up your accusations unless you count 'I know Texas Football'. If they are fake, get the authorities involved, give them proof, and they'll go after him. I'm sure the players would be interested in seeing them caught, probably the longhorns too, since their images are being used that way. Have you contacted any of them? Until you do, all you are doing is harassing and making unproven allegations that could amount to slander and libel on your part, which could put YOU as the one facing criminal or civil charges.
Thanks, but I'll get my legal advice from someone who actually knows what the definition of slander is.
You want proof? It's called using your eyeballs, knowledge and logic.
I am getting involved by contacting eBay and the bidders. I feel that approach will get more results than contacting "the authorities" or the players... they've got bigger fish to fry.

Thanks, but I'll get my legal advice from someone who actually knows what the definition of slander is.
You want proof? It's called using your eyeballs, knowledge and logic.
I am getting involved by contacting eBay and the bidders. I feel that approach will get more results than contacting "the authorities" or the players... they've got bigger fish to fry.

You might just be suprised how sensitive sports figures are regarding this issue. If they have any kind of organization behind them they will shut down those auctions in a heartbeat IF they believe them to be fakes, just like Ripken did to me.

You might also be suprised what law enforcement is interested in. I don't know all the legal terminology but IF the autos are fake then the seller has committed basic theft/fraud plus I believe wire fraud and also using the postal service to committ a crime. If it's an ongoing criminal enterprise they might just be interested.

Do you really think Ebay is going to do anything that "the authorities" won't do ? That would put them in legal quicksand. It's why they don't shut down lots of sellers that some people think should be shut down.

wow I guess this got a little hostile.. I was only saying what you had asked for, my opinion. And I bet you are right, since at least 80% of ebay autographs are fakes !! But it is not my job to police bay, if you choose to make it your job, I am cool with that too. Good luck :)