Ebay and threads on here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BiggioDiogu759

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Manitowoc, Wisconsin-Home of The Roncalli Jets
Not sure if this bothers anyone esle, I see threads that say like "Looking for 100...Last one sold for $150 on Ebay"

Now if thats the case, then why are you selling it on here?

I love giving Bench members the chance to buy it here before Ebay, but then dont put "It sold on Ebay for this"

If you put "It sold on Ebay for this amount" Then go sell it on ebay :)

Any other thoughts

what they mean by "it sold on ebay for x" is "here is a realistic real world dollar value". They aren't saying "I wish I was selling this on ebay."

The alternative to the old "it sold on ebay for x" is "it books for $400 so I'll sell it for $374" while they're thinking don't look on ebay and see that it sells for $50 in the real world...

I think they are just trying to save you a trip to the completed listing section of ebay. Very friendly of them.

I don't sell on EBAY. I only sell here at The Bench. I can see sellers trying to sell here to avoid all the fees that Ebay charges. By stating something like "looking for $100....last one sold for $150 on Ebay" they are just trying to let you know what to expect to spend if you try to buy it on Ebay and that they are offering you a good deal. I take more exception when it is the other way around: when a potential buyer try to tell you that he/she can buy it on Ebay for a cheaper price......then, by all means, go to Ebay and buy it.

I don't sell on EBAY. I only sell here at The Bench. I can see sellers trying to sell here to avoid all the fees that Ebay charges. By stating something like "looking for $100....last one sold for $150 on Ebay" they are just trying to let you know what to expect to spend if you try to buy it on Ebay and that they are offering you a good deal. I take more exception when it is the other way around: when a potential buyer try to tell you that he/she can buy it on Ebay for a cheaper price......then, by all means, go to Ebay and buy it.

I agree

Not sure if this bothers anyone esle, I see threads that say like "Looking for 100...Last one sold for $150 on Ebay"

Now if thats the case, then why are you selling it on here?

I love giving Bench members the chance to buy it here before Ebay, but then dont put "It sold on Ebay for this"

If you put "It sold on Ebay for this amount" Then go sell it on ebay :)

Any other thoughts

Why are they selling on here? No fees, and the membership here polices itself pretty well. I see a lot less horror stories about the Bench transactions than transactions on ebay. Plus there's more of a personal connection here.

By putting the "my price is $100 last one sold for $150" They are letting you know a real price, and that theirs is already discounted, it hopefully avoids the mentality people have that whatever an asking price is, they need to offer less, because all asking prices are too high. Which should also help avoid another "why does everyone try to lowball me" thread

It's interesting to note that if everyone is trying to lowball someone, they are probably asking too much to begin with...thus it's not a lowball offer, but a REALISTIC offer.

Which should also help avoid another "why does everyone try to lowball me" thread

Quoting ebay prices is fine, if they are accurate. I tried to use this logic to convince someone to drop their unrealistic price on a card. I gave 3 examples of cards selling in the range I was offering. The seller had no comparable examples, because none of the cards had sold that high. I should know, I watch the sales for these cards. He didn't budge and still has it for sale. Since then, two more have sold for the range I offered. Some people just want too much!

It's interesting to note that if everyone is trying to lowball someone, they are probably asking too much to begin with...thus it's not a lowball offer, but a REALISTIC offer.

Quoting ebay prices is fine, if they are accurate. I tried to use this logic to convince someone to drop their unrealistic price on a card. I gave 3 examples of cards selling in the range I was offering. The seller had no comparable examples, because none of the cards had sold that high. I should know, I watch the sales for these cards. He didn't budge and still has it for sale. Since then, two more have sold for the range I offered. Some people just want too much!

I agree, my motto is 'trust, but verify' the last one might have sold for $150, but if the 4 before that sold for $40-50 and there hasn't been any external change (chasing history, strasburg type debut, etc) then the outlier really means nothing except someone paid a lot more than most folks would. And I do agree with a lot of lowball offers not being as lowball as people think. People tend to overvalue what they have and undervalue what they are looking at. I've noticed if someone starts a thread about lowballing it can get to 2-3 pages pretty quickly with people telling stories about getting lowball offers, but most of the same people don't think they've ever made a lowball offer. It's all perception

I take more exception when it is the other way around: when a potential buyer try to tell you that he/she can buy it on Ebay for a cheaper price......then, by all means, go to Ebay and buy it.

Same thing happens at flea markets and yard sales. Go buy it on ebay then and quit wasting my time !