FanPacks from sports teams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lprimus

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Hey guys!
I teach 4th grade here in Las Vegas and my school and students are really big on sports themes, which is great! Alot of us teachers hand out cards to the students for achievements or good behavior. One of the things I've been thinking of doing is contacting the sports teams from all sports to have them send fan packs to me, if possible. I did this a number of years ago where I sent requests to teams for fanpacks. I recall getting stickers, cards, schedules, etc. in the mail. I think my students would get a kick out of this as they are constantly reading books about sports heros. (I just got them some books on Mickey Mantle and Derek Jeter.)

Anybody have any luck on these lately? Is email still the best way to request them or do you have to send a SASE or anything like that? Just curious.

:D
Jason

Jason,

I have always did a handwritten letter to each team and always received something back. No need for a SASE.

My wife, a 5th grade teacher, had her kids write a letter to a celebrity/team as a class project once. About 3/4 of the students received a response back including fan packs and even autographs. We pulled addresses off the internet for sports celebrities, actors, actresses and musicians. She said the kids had a blast with this exercise. Even some kids wrote numerous letters.

Jason,

I have always did a handwritten letter to each team and always received something back. No need for a SASE.

My wife, a 5th grade teacher, had her kids write a letter to a celebrity/team as a class project once. About 3/4 of the students received a response back including fan packs and even autographs. We pulled addresses off the internet for sports celebrities, actors, actresses and musicians. She said the kids had a blast with this exercise. Even some kids wrote numerous letters.

I've thought about having the kids do the same as well. Good writing project for them! ;)

Thanks for the info Jeff!

Jason

There are a couple of teams that still send out some great stuff.
I would reccomend the Mil.Brewers as they sent me a school folder, pictures
stickers Etc. also got back stuuf from the Twins,Reds, Orioles and the Red Sox all had great stuff. I do believe there is a way to contact a few of the teams via emali and if i find the link i will pass along . I can tell you the White Sox and Cubs only sent one stickerr and one schedule....

Jason:

I have a bunch of cards that I would like to send you for the kids.
Please send me a mailing address.

i agree with jeff, the best thing to have the kids do is handwrite to whichever team they like/want. have them ask for any old flyers, pennants, team photos, pocket schedules, team progam magazines etc....

i need to start doing it more often, i've had some luck with the bulls in the past.

good luck, and let us know how the project turns out!

paul

i agree with jeff, the best thing to have the kids do is handwrite to whichever team they like/want. have them ask for any old flyers, pennants, team photos, pocket schedules, team progam magazines etc....

i need to start doing it more often, i've had some luck with the bulls in the past.

good luck, and let us know how the project turns out!

paul

Will do! I'm thinking a writing project is in the works soon! ;)

:D
Jason

I remember doing a writing project in 4th or 5th grade, pretty much exactly like the one Jeff mentioned. I remember that almost all of us got something back. Unfortunately, that was when I was into hockey so I didn't get any cool baseball stuff. :)

I have a bunch of stickers, etc from fanpacks that I can give you if you send a SASE. Would be glad to help if interested.

Hey Jason:
Last year I taught a single gender (boys) 3rd grade class. During our friendly letter unit, this is exactly what I used to motivate and teach the process of the friendly letter. My class ended up sending to 144 teams/individual players. The only MLB teams that did not respond were: Colorado Rockies, Toronto Blue Jays, San Francisco Giants (Giants want you to download a coloring sheet online). The Yankees sent packages that included everything from hats, coffee mugs, pencils, books, and banners. After such success from the Yanks, I dropped a special note in the envelope for one young man that needed extra support due to his home life. The Yankees sent a brand new STARTER JACKET - complete with $129 price tag attached! The Boston Red Sox and Atlanta Braves will send dirt from Fenway Park and Turner Field, respectively. In football, the Packers were very generous.....as were the Eagles, Ravens, and Bengals. Do not have them send to the Colts - it will be returned with a letter requesting money. Same with the Houston Texans - they require $1.00, but the students will receive decent items (boom sticks, etc.). Peyton and Eli Manning each responded within a couple of weeks. Peyton signed the cards that the kids sent, and Eli's package included a standard letter with an autographed photo. In basketball, the New York Knicks were the best, sending (2) autographed 8x10's that had their very own C.O.A. One was Chris Duhon, and I can't remember the other player.

One of my students really got into the letter writing, and he ended up sending to all 120 teams of the big "4" sports - MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL. He also made some headlines in a couple of papers across the country - AND was mentioned before the 2011 Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game due to the press he was receiving. He sent a letter to the Oregon Ducks, tellign them that he was rooting for them and requesting any souviners they could send. It was misdirected, and it made it to the editor of the Register-Guard Newspaper in Eugene. They printed a story (and took care of my student):

http://special.registerguard.com/cs...737064-41/oregon-seth-ducks-football-fans.csp

Afterwards, the Auburn-Opelika Newspaper published a similar story in response to what they had read. It was too cool, and it was something that boy will never forget. There he was in Mississippi, yet he was "involved" in a National Championship fight!

Let me know your email address, and I will send you the list of all 120 physical addresses of professional sports teams. Good Luck!

Tim