IP Autographs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian_Jim

Prospect
I have an opportunity to buy a Derek Jeter signed Yankees Jersey from a collector I know personally. He obtained the Autograph himself at Spring Training back in 98 or 99. He has attended spring training for the last 20+ years and has lots of Auto's on mini helmets, jerseys, balls, photos, cards you get the picture. So we are trying to work out a price but he wants $350 for it and I told him if he gets the jersey authenticated then I would be willing to pay close to that price. He is not willing to pay for someone to authenticate things he knows are legit. I also do not want to upset him with a low ball offer because down the road I would like to try and buy more from him. So if you were me how would you go about it?

Did you try offering to pay part of the authentication price? Like if you split that, then maybe he would be more willing to do it.

I do not have any doubts about the auto, but I am thinking about it as a fan and as a investment. Let's say I buy the jersey and down the road decide to sell it, I would still need to get it authenticated. Would you as a collector buy a auto without some certification?

350.00 for a jersey is high now. he is young and signs ALOT...is it going to go up that much more?? is a cal ripken jersey autographed going to go up that much more? babe ruth yes...not that many around. me i dont see it going up unless he does a major record and yes id sell than but other than that me i dont see it going up than what it is now. best to take the 350.00 buy gold or silver and sit on that. gold coins is where its at. soemthing that NEEDS auth papers is not worth it to me. like diamonds.... those are steady so will be a auto cert. look at bobby thompson or duke snider. they passed away and yes at first they were high when they passed but now you can get them cheap. i think M Jordan autos are going to slip. he is sighning UD stuff liek crazy. its not low numbers anymore. buy gold....or silver Bars is where the money @ ;) my 2 cents

A few things here: 1.) Jeter IP stuff often doesn't pass authentication. Seriously. Same thing with guys like ARod and Pujols. Believe it or not, that's also the case for some of Josh Hamilton's stuff. If you're lucky to get someone like Jeter, ARod, or Pujols to sign for you IP, don't be shocked if it doesn't pass authentication. Does it mean it's not real? No, of course not. It just means that authentication company doesn't want to try and pass it. Not right now, any way, while the player is still hot. Those guys from PSA/DNA and JSA probably don't want that to be known, but that's what happens. I've seen stuff I saw signed by Pujols and Hamilton that was signed right in front of me FAIL authentication from those guys. Now, that brings us to point number 2.) That's also going to mean that stuff signed by those guys is artificially high right now. Think about the market with Mark McGwire about 10 years ago. Big Mac was signing for what, about a grand, back then when he had his one and only private signing in the past decade? Authentication companies were slow to authenticate his sig back then, much like they are today about Jeter, ARod, and Pujols. Today, that's not the case and the price of his memorabilia has gone down.

So, with that being the case, if you trust the source you trust the source. You're throwing money away trying to get it authenticated in my opinion. To me $350 is high. If he could get that money he would have already sold it. I say negotiate. If not, if you're planning on investing $350 I would invest in something like gold...or a vintage autograph.

I get a lot of IP ST autos.
Many of the signatures do not look anything like their cert. autos.
I think the price of the Jeter is a little high, but it still would be a great addition.

It depends on how bad you want the item. A few months ago I sold a Jeter Allen & Ginter card I got signed IP for $150! That's more than some of his pack pulled certified autos sell for.

With that in mind I think the jersey price is fair. That is a fraction of what Steiner is trying to get for Jeter signed jersey's.

I do not have any doubts about the auto, but I am thinking about it as a fan and as a investment. Let's say I buy the jersey and down the road decide to sell it, I would still need to get it authenticated. Would you as a collector buy a auto without some certification?

That's actually a double edged question in all fairness. Would I buy an auto without certification? Of course. I've done it tons of times. I would, of course, have to be comfortable with the source first. What you're really asking is would a collector buy it from you without certification. You are, thinking of, after all, investment considerations. Now, that's where it gets tricky. You see a lot of dealers won't touch an item unless it's authenticated. Now that you know a lot of Jeter's IP stuff doesn't pass certification, you can probably guess that this probably won't pass. Not right now, any way. Not while he's hot. That's going to make this a tough item to sell to a collector or a dealer. If you're looking for a return on your investment, and you have your heart set on a Yankee auto, consider an authenticated Mantle, or other vintage sigs.

I would see if I could get it for 250. If you know this guy well and trust him then I see no problem getting for a personal collection and later down the road getting it authenticated.