Packs vs individual cards, psychology

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quambomb

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have been having a struggle with a decision lately as to whether I should buy high-end packs of cards or singles on eBay. I love busting packs and the mystery of them is what drives me to collect, but I want to know you thoughts as to whether you like to buy individual cards versus high end packs.

My budget is kind of tight, but I'm considering splurging on a pack of Tribute (~85). For some reason, this idea seems like a good one until I see the awesome cards on ebay I can buy for an equivalent price. The dilemma is that I can't convince myself to drop that more than like $10 per card on eBay. obviously, this seems illogical/

Have you ran into a similar situation ever? Do you have any advice? let me know you thoughts....thanks!

From a purely financial standpoint, buying singles is the way to go.

From a thrill standpoint, the packs reign supreme.

No surprise that many people have the same issues. I know I do. I have no idea how many times I have bought a blaster at Wal-Mart and pulled nothing at all when I could have saved myself from buying 5 of them and added another key auto.

Yes, I've run into this dilemma. In 1998 I was addicted to shredding packs - kinda like a gambling addiction. What broke me of that was Ebay. I had just got done opening most of a box at my LCS and didn't get the one-per-box auto. After shelling out something like $50 I felt like an idiot chasing that auto of some player I probably don't even collect while $50 on the bay would get me all sorts of awesome cards - the exact cards I want of the exact players I collect. Since 1998 I have spent less than $20 total on packs.

Singles are always the way to go, in my opinion. You could get some nice cards of guys/teams you collect for that $85 you spend on a pack of Tribute, which could yield nothing of interest.

I love opening packs if I happen to get some extra income in, but if I'm on a budget, I'd go with the singles every time.

I buy packs for sets that I am putting together - and on occasion if I get a good deal on a box/packs at the LCS or grabbing a blaster at the grocery store I do that as well. Most of my budget gets spent buying singles - I spent too much in the past busting packs and not getting what I need.

Thanks for the advice, you guys are reaffirming my confidence with sticking with eBay singles. I agree, its probably the best way for serious collectors (packs are good for kids or people trying to establish a collection like I was a few years ago)

Busting packs certainly isn't a lucrative endeavor in most cases, but the market NEEDS people to bust so the secondary market remains plush with singles for collectors to buy up. For me, busting is just as fun as collecting, so I like to do both.

Tangent warning!

The more people bust, the more product the card companies make...flooding the market and dropping the prices of singles, which usually leads to less resale value in product and less busting...kind of a nasty cycle. IMO, right now we are getting back into a time where too much product is being produced, yet singles prices are still relatively strong which I think is from increased demand/hype from a lot of young talented players in the league today. The great equalizer is the production of cards...Topps is like the fed...it's in their best interest to keep slow/stable growth to avoid a crash like the early 90s.

Packs have all but become a legal means of gambling. How often is the contents of the average pack worth the cost? Not often! The thrill and chance of beating the odds is what drives the pack purchasing these days.

When it was just Topps and no inserts, the packs were cheap and the hope was you pulled a favorite player or superstar. Now the base stuff that is cheap still has inserts and nobody wants it!

Buy what you want and save. If we all did this, the packs wouldn't be as exciting for those still willing to drop $100+ per, but maybe they would become reasonably priced for a fair return.

I just came back from Vegas and held to a very strict budget of $40. Of course, I lost it all. The brief thrill of possibly winning much more is now replaced with the frustration of knowing that my $40 could have bought something nice.

GAMBLING is not worth it when you are the player. Why do you think there are so many lavish places in Vegas? Gambling pays...when you are the house! And that excess was bought and paid for with all of us suckers money!

If you love gambling, then its the packs....if you don't then its The Bench or ebay for the singles! Opened five packs of tribute and did not come up with the big hit to cover the cost of the packs. Best regards, David

I agree with all of your points, and that is exactly why I like packs (for the gambling and risk). I think chaddie has some good points about the economics of collecting.

I often times do have remorse over buying packs after not getting anything, but have struck gold other times. Good thing the bench is here to trade my unwanted cards and I will stick to eBay from here on out (apart from the occasional low value pack)

I agree with all of your points, and that is exactly why I like packs (for the gambling and risk). I think chaddie has some good points about the economics of collecting.

I often times do have remorse over buying packs after not getting anything, but have struck gold other times. Good thing the bench is here to trade my unwanted cards and I will stick to eBay from here on out (apart from the occasional low value pack)

Indeed, singles are the way to go on a collection for 99+% of the time. I always knew that, but it was kind of driven home when I bought a blaster of 2006 Topps. I pulled an Eric Davis Team Topps auto. I looked at the odds and it was roughly a 1:125 blaster box pull to get any auto from that group, and I think there were 4-5 players in that group. So at $20/blaster you're looking at $2500 worth of boxes just to pull any auto from that group, and I saw them selling for $5 delivered on ebay. When you get a 1:125 box pull that doesn't even pay for 1/4 of the one blaster, it really sunk in

I'll re-affirm the singles approach. If you want a Roberto Alomar Auto/GU from tribute, just pick one up for $25 on ebay instead of opening a few hundred bucks in packs. Now obviously if you hit a koufax you may get your money back, but as others have said, thats just gambling.

I like to spend a little money on packs ($15 or less a week), and the rest on singles. I tend to buy the singles from higher end product, but I always feel bad for the seller who spent $100 on the pack, when I bought the hit for $10.

Though if I had the disposable income, I'd probably bust the heck out of some Triple Threads.

About 6 months ago I was spending about $100 a month on packs and a lot of times the hits I got were of no name players or players I don't collect. I did manage to pull a redemption card of Dez Bryant for an auto from Topps (which I am still waiting on).

So I decided in January that I would not buy anymore packs and buy singles of the players I collect, with one exception, I love the Allen and Ginter cards so I will buy a box or two of those and/or packs when it comes out this year. That way I buy exactly what I want and not spend on other products getting nothing in return or very little.

I actually dropped by spending and now only spend about $30 a month on Ebay! Makes me happier b/c I have more cash now! :)

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Latest posts and bumps