Player collectors: Does this ever happen to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otgoal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Okay, this is meant more for those who collect a player who is not necessarily a star, or full time player (see Corey Patterson below) :)

I'm watching Yanks/Jays last night...I'm not a Jays fan (or a Yankee fan), although I don't dislike either team, but come the bottom of the ninth, it's a tie game. The bases are loaded with one out and Patterson is up. I'm looking for a game winning hit, just 'cause I collect Corey. He hits into an inning ending double play. :(

Now, Toronto ended up winning, but I was sure looking for Patterson to come through.

Do other collector's of part time players get so into each at bat?

He hasn't had an at-bat in such a clutch situation that I can remember, but I've been rooting for Casey Kotchman (Rays) to get hits as I was watching much of the Rays vs. White Sox series this week, although I like the Sox. Hopefully he can manage to keep his spot on the roster.

Also, it helps that my other main player collection in Marlon Byrd is already on my favorite team, the Cubs. :)

When my guys were still playing I was the same way. I would watch games that I normally would've passed on just because one guy I collected might get into the game. The nice thing about harcore player collectors is I think it parallels our sick love for the game overall:p

I collected Nick Johnson when he went through the Yankees farm and finally up to the Bigs. I put a nice collection together and after he was gone his Yankees cards were easy to get. Then the Yanks picked him up last year and I was pretty excited to continue to get his cards and be able to watch him play for my team again. I little rekindle and boost for collecting an active player, most of who I collect are retired. Knowing he was so injury prone and hearing the negativity on how he would do nothing to help the Yanks I still was excited. Well we all know how he turned out the 2nd time around and even though I have a ton of his stuff I really hadn’t picked up to many new cards once he bombed.

Not anymore now that Frank Thomas as been retired a few years. Not happy when Frank Thomas was in the A's uniform and they were took out my (Twins) team 4-0. Best regards, David