Should I grade these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattfieser

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hey gang,

So long story short, my buddies mother-in-law was cleaning out her deceased husbands things and came across a bunch of cards. She offered them to my buddy and he said he didn't collect but his friend does so he gave them to me. All of these cards, plus a bunch I didn't scan all came in the 4 screw tight holders.

No I was wondering if any of these were worth sending in to get graded? I have never sent anything in to be graded before so I wanted your guys opinions. Please be brutally honest, are they worth grading or not? Thanks,

Matt

Please check the link here. A lot of these won't allow me to post in here for some reason.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116482021167874062609/ShouldIGradeThese?authuser=0&feat=directlink

It all depends on the edges and corners and also any surface spots, it could be worth a shot if the cards have sharp corners and free of any surface marks hard to really get a close look at them though. Good luck though and nice to have friends like that.....

Don't know about the others but on the Ripken traded you would need to get an 8 from psa to break even.

do the slide show, you can get a decent look at edges and corners. they all looked pretty sound to me, except the jeter, the bottom right corner looked dinged, and the left wasn't as bad, but still a tad.

i think the boggs may have a rounded corner on bottom right also, not too bad, but enough to notice.

overall, i think it would be worth a shot.

paul

What is your goal by having them graded?

Unless you were planning to try to resell and make a tidy return above what you paid for the grading, I personally wouldn't bother with new stuff like that. Then again, I have no interest at all in graded items.

If you did think you might be able to turn a profit, you should examine them with a loupe or magnifying glass before you do send anything in.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum as mrmopar, respectively. I would get them all graded. PSA adds a ton of value for me.

My "expert" opinion is that if this is your first submission, you need to examine the cards like you never have before. I've made 4 or 5 submissions and my first one was a disaster. 1984 Donruss star cards, thought I had 9's and 10's. They came back 7's to 9's ! A psa representative took the time to look at the cards I disputed, and when I got them back, with stickers and arrows pointing to the defects, every one I looked at I said OH YEAH that's not good. LOL

The point is, a card you may consider a 9 could easily be graded a 7. So, if you're considering grading for added $$ value, be VERY conservative in your estimation of condition.

The other factor I would consider is what these cards are actually worth in top grade vs what the grading will cost you. Sounds like the cards were free, so you have room to make money regardless, but it is still worth it? Consider not what the BV might be, but what people are actually paying. None of those cards are scarce by any means. They may have decent BV for new cards, but there are tons of each copy out there in top shape no less.

So you get a 10 on a few. Does that mean you can get 25% over BV? 50%? Is it worth it?

I can't answer those questions, because as I noted, I don't really buy into the graded card method. I can see a value with older or unique cards, to possibly help authenticate them or if you have some sweet 1952 Topps cards that look like they just saw their first light of day. That can add unrealistic value to an otherwise raw card. Even then, you are relying on humans to make the call and they sometimes get it wrong.

Thanks guys. Well since the cards were free I don't feel like I would be losing much overall even if they came back as 7 or 8's. I could always crack them and trade/sell them raw/ But if the Ripken or the Favre or even the Jeter came back with a 9 or higher, which I doubt but who knows that would add dramatically to the overall price.

I'm not sure if I am even gonna do it. I might just put them up for trade. Just wanted to know what people thought.

I really do appreciate every ones opinions on the matter.

If you're going to flip them on the bay, do it................If not, just hang on to them and trade 'em off or keep them...................I have a Ripken 1982 Topps Traded 98T that was gem out of an unopened box, just had those ****** ink spots that were common 30 years ago..................But hey, your 30 year old still looks pretty hot!