Show a pic of a random card you own thread..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

In a way though, isn’t that part of the fun? I by no means an investor or hit chaser, but it would be nice for instance, if Jo Adell turns it around and plays like Mike Trout for a few years as I have 7 of his RC’s. (All through pack purchases)
Cecil Fielder comes to mind when digging through the old commons box. Don't get me wrong. I like to get hits when opening boxes. In fact the last three years or Topps Heritage I have done well. So I would love to get an auto in every box, but usually it's a materials card.

I just think the hobby is getting overly excited about unproven rookies. I pity all the people who invested heavily in Wander Franco, for instance. And so much hype about Mountcastle - whereas Rutschman may be the real deal.

Did this start with Brien Taylor? He is the first rookie that I can remember being hyped.

In a way though, isn’t that part of the fun? I by no means an investor or hit chaser, but it would be nice for instance, if Jo Adell turns it around and plays like Mike Trout for a few years as I have 7 of his RC’s. (All through pack purchases)
That's really unlikely. Better chance that Bohm turns out to be Utley and gets to the HoF bubble.

Cecil Fielder comes to mind when digging through the old commons box. Don't get me wrong. I like to get hits when opening boxes. In fact the last three years or Topps Heritage I have done well. So I would love to get an auto in every box, but usually it's a materials card.
Fielder is an HoVG player. His 86 rc fetches a couple bucks, so more than a common, but less than Kirby Puckett.

Did this start with Brien Taylor? He is the first rookie that I can remember being hyped.
Gregg Jeffries was the first one I remember. But really seemed to ramp up in 84/85 as the Mattingly Donruss rookie and the Gooden’s update cards really drove the market. With the influx of big rookies in 85 with Puckett, Clemens, Davis, hershiser and others. I think McGwire was an afterthought at the moment because he wasn’t in the bigs yet. But 1988 Fleer, Donruss and to an extent Score Jeffries were scorching hot. I don’t think god himself could have lived up to the hype he produced. And overall he had a decent career but…

Gregg Jeffries was the first one I remember. But really seemed to ramp up in 84/85 as the Mattingly Donruss rookie and the Gooden’s update cards really drove the market. With the influx of big rookies in 85 with Puckett, Clemens, Davis, hershiser and others. I think McGwire was an afterthought at the moment because he wasn’t in the bigs yet. But 1988 Fleer, Donruss and to an extent Score Jeffries were scorching hot. I don’t think god himself could have lived up to the hype he produced. And overall he had a decent career but…
Fair points. I wasn't collecting at that point, so missed out on the Jeffries hype. As I look back, thinking about Canseco. Griffey, Jr. The '91 Stadium Club Dome Set. The 1953 Archives set.

The earliest I remember widespread speculation on RCs was in 1984 with Mattingly and Strawberry. A friend of mine and I used to run all over the place in Lebanon, Pa searching Topps racks and cellos for those two players. It got to be where we knew the top and bottom 4 or 5 cards to get a RC of either of those two guys. The next year the same was true for Dwight Gooden. Once 86 and 87 rolled around there were tons of prospects most of them did not make it big (Joyner, Mitchell, Bonilla and on and on)

I was fortunate to be one of the few who speculated on football in 1984 with Marino, Elway, Dickerson and Curt Warner (the running back who led the AFC in rushing his rookie year, not to be confused with the QB Kurt Warner). Walter Payton cards were huge then but no one was looking for Montana rcs. Basketball was garbage which is why so few (sadly including myself) bought the Star Co. cards or the 86-87 Fleer. Hockey was considered regional or niche so there was very little interest in thoose in the early-mid 80s as well.