The Philly Show - December 1-3, 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baseball/Football/Basketball/William Shatner

You can click on the link and than drop down autograph guests.
You said that you would be there Saturday, what time? Bryson Stott is there from 11:45 AM to 1:15 PM and Alec Bohm is there starting at 12:30-1:30 PM

You said that you would be there Saturday, what time? Bryson Stott is there from 11:45 AM to 1:15 PM and Alec Bohm is there starting at 12:30-1:30 PM

Probably not until 2pm or so. I don't go for the autographs, I am going strictly to pick up vintage that I need.

Philly show is awesome. Its similar to the Chantilly shows and the Raleigh shows. I was heading to Richmond Saturday but I forgot about this one...

Philly show is awesome. Its similar to the Chantilly shows and the Raleigh shows. I was heading to Richmond Saturday but I forgot about this one...

I need to get down to the Chantilly show at some point, have heard good things.

The Philly Show today was incredible. I got a late start on the day due to morning errands taking longer than anticipated, but got to spend 3+ hours in the exhibit hall. I was only able to get to about 2/3'rds of the exhibit tables.

Tons of ungraded vintage tables to look through, which is exactly what I was looking for. Those who had it thoughtfully organized, got the majority of my time and money. Was able to find the final 5 cards to officially finalize my 1977 set (had the cards, but they needed to be upgraded). Was able to find the final 4 cards to my 1976 set (again, had the cards, but they needed to be upgraded). So pending my final check of both sets and crossing fingers that I haven't overlooked any cards - I can officially cross two more sets off my list to complete. Also made huge dents in both my 1975 and 1974 sets - down to 8 cards needed for 1975 and 7 cards needed for 1974. I honestly believe that if I had more time today, I would have finished both of them as well. Going to start going to work on my 1973 set, as I only need 64 more to knock that one out. Than the 1969/1970/1971/1972 beasts!!!!

Also tons of graded cards, easy to walk past those booths, no interest for me there. And than the booths that you look at and wonder why they spent the money to show up - as what they were trying to sell just didn't look worth the effort to spend 3 days hanging out.

Tons and tons and tons of teens and pre-teens walking around with card briefcases trying to sell their latest hits. And tons and tons of folks with faces buried in phones looking up comps making sure not to miss out on a dollars worth of value either selling or buying.

Overall, just very pleased with how the day turned out.

I need to get down to the Chantilly show at some point, have heard good things.

The Philly Show today was incredible. I got a late start on the day due to morning errands taking longer than anticipated, but got to spend 3+ hours in the exhibit hall. I was only able to get to about 2/3'rds of the exhibit tables.

Tons of ungraded vintage tables to look through, which is exactly what I was looking for. Those who had it thoughtfully organized, got the majority of my time and money. Was able to find the final 5 cards to officially finalize my 1977 set (had the cards, but they needed to be upgraded). Was able to find the final 4 cards to my 1976 set (again, had the cards, but they needed to be upgraded). So pending my final check of both sets and crossing fingers that I haven't overlooked any cards - I can officially cross two more sets off my list to complete. Also made huge dents in both my 1975 and 1974 sets - down to 8 cards needed for 1975 and 7 cards needed for 1974. I honestly believe that if I had more time today, I would have finished both of them as well. Going to start going to work on my 1973 set, as I only need 64 more to knock that one out. Than the 1969/1970/1971/1972 beasts!!!!

Also tons of graded cards, easy to walk past those booths, no interest for me there. And than the booths that you look at and wonder why they spent the money to show up - as what they were trying to sell just didn't look worth the effort to spend 3 days hanging out.

Tons and tons and tons of teens and pre-teens walking around with card briefcases trying to sell their latest hits. And tons and tons of folks with faces buried in phones looking up comps making sure not to miss out on a dollars worth of value either selling or buying.

Overall, just very pleased with how the day turned out.
Thats a perfect description of what all current show are these days. I try to go to 1 sometimes 2 a weekend. I been to the national (in NJ) but outside I rank the Chantilly, Raliegh and Philly shows here in the mid Atlantic as in a class of their own as they legitimately could be 300 tables+. I does take me a little investment of a hotel for the ones that are 3+ hours away but thats ok, cause I like to make it a mini vacation weekend and hit the trails (for philly, I like to rummage around Valley Forge) and get some good dinner and probably watch something and drink adult beverages.

The graded cards as also tables I pass and its good to see the kids in the hobby but wish they would appreciate the set building hobby. A lot of us set builders are dying. Although it gets me a clear pass to finding the inserts no one else wants. I have a few dealers that set up. One I suspect you hit as he sets up against the back wall and lays out all the current inserts in various plastic boxes. He is out of PA but extends setting up down to Virginia.

I have noticed that concept of "value box" and those tables with 10, 25 cent boxes are dying since it takes up too much valuable space.

Anyways, I ended up in Richmond. a decent 100 dealer show. I like to venture to new locations so I can dome across different dealers. Sometimes the weekly local shows end up with the same dealers and its like I been through that box.

I be interested in starting a thread on shows. I be interested in going to somewhere I have not been if its recommended.

Thats a perfect description of what all current show are these days. I try to go to 1 sometimes 2 a weekend. I been to the national (in NJ) but outside I rank the Chantilly, Raliegh and Philly shows here in the mid Atlantic as in a class of their own as they legitimately could be 300 tables+. I does take me a little investment of a hotel for the ones that are 3+ hours away but thats ok, cause I like to make it a mini vacation weekend and hit the trails (for philly, I like to rummage around Valley Forge) and get some good dinner and probably watch something and drink adult beverages.

The graded cards as also tables I pass and its good to see the kids in the hobby but wish they would appreciate the set building hobby. A lot of us set builders are dying. Although it gets me a clear pass to finding the inserts no one else wants. I have a few dealers that set up. One I suspect you hit as he sets up against the back wall and lays out all the current inserts in various plastic boxes. He is out of PA but extends setting up down to Virginia.

I have noticed that concept of "value box" and those tables with 10, 25 cent boxes are dying since it takes up too much valuable space.

Anyways, I ended up in Richmond. a decent 100 dealer show. I like to venture to new locations so I can dome across different dealers. Sometimes the weekly local shows end up with the same dealers and its like I been through that box.

I be interested in starting a thread on shows. I be interested in going to somewhere I have not been if its recommended.

Sounds about right. There used to be a show within an hour of my house every single weekend, but now, just tumbleweeds. Trading vintage online is nice, but everyones description of condition seems to be different - seeing the cards in person prior to buying makes things a little easier.

I did see (I believe) your guy with the inserts in the plastic cases. Wanted to look for a couple of the A/G inserts that I needed, but didn't have time. Spent the majority of my time at vintage booths with binders nicely organized by year and numerically. Definitely worth every minute of my time.

Sounds about right. There used to be a show within an hour of my house every single weekend, but now, just tumbleweeds. Trading vintage online is nice, but everyones description of condition seems to be different - seeing the cards in person prior to buying makes things a little easier.

I did see (I believe) your guy with the inserts in the plastic cases. Wanted to look for a couple of the A/G inserts that I needed, but didn't have time. Spent the majority of my time at vintage booths with binders nicely organized by year and numerically. Definitely worth every minute of my time.
Yes that guy (Scotty) is one of my go to guys when it comes to the most current updates. I think he is from York

Wow! The Raleigh show is my local card show. It's good to hear that it's held in such high esteem. It's the only card show that I've been going to since I moved down here. The last show I went to other than Raleigh was one in MD 20 years ago. In fact, the Raleigh show is this upcoming weekend - December 8-10!

Scobes

Wow! The Raleigh show is my local card show. It's good to hear that it's held in such high esteem. It's the only card show that I've been going to since I moved down here. The last show I went to other than Raleigh was one in MD 20 years ago. In fact, the Raleigh show is this upcoming weekend - December 8-10!

Scobes

Yea, there are two promoters that run out of the Kern building and sometimes out of the coliseum next door. If I recall one is a half toy and card show (3 dayer?) and the other is a 2 dayer card show only. It takes me a good 5 hours to get there from DC but if I get there earlier I like to walk around the Lake, eat at the Caroline Ale house and hit the show the next morning.

One of the promoters is Matt Christopher. He runs a number of shows in the DC area. I think its called Tidewatersports promotions, you can search it.

I do like Raliegh because its a 300 table show and most of the dealers are different then the ones I see weekly although the more I go the more familiar I find them.

I been to the statesville? one which is also super large and even more diverse of dealers. I also drove close to charlotte but it was seemingly another 1.5 hours longer for me.... I wore out.

I have to pick and choose which weekends I commit to that drive.... With XMAS around the corner I have more (too many things to do) so I have to defer a ride that far south until Feb (which I think might be the next one.

I live on the Jersey shore and the only show worth going to now is the Philly show. We used to have some good ones out here at Malls (Freehold, Seaview Square) but they all died off. North Jersey once in a while but not as big. Early on there used to be a good show at Convention Hall in Asbury Park if anyone ever went to any of those. You could get some great stuff back then. I also look for vintage - really not that interested in the newer stuff other than completing the yearly set (good back to '71). Working on an Ex-Mt '67 (need 35 - hi#'s of course including Seaver) and 1959 (too many to list).

Update: I guess I forgot to mention the national in AC although that didn't seem as good to me as the Philly show...