Topps Original Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jscatman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
As many people know, Topps has been placing older cards in packs and boxes. The cards have a golden seal or emblem with the words "original" or "50th Anniversary." My question is what is the value of those cards? If the original price was $20.00 for the a card, does the emblem increase or decrease the value of the card or does the value remain the same? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

I can't answer what it does to Beckett value, but in my opinion it makes them worthless to a set collector. I wouldn't add one to my base Topps sets. I don't care what color stamp you put on it or label it rare, common or super rare - it is a ruined card to me.

To a player collector, it may be a nice little chase, but to a set collector, I think they become poor grade cards that wouldn't even be used as filler.

I have 15 of the 2015 Topps "Original" cards and like you have no clue what the value is...I did an ebay search just to see what the cards sold for a 1976 Fred Lynn sold for $12 a 1976 Jerry Remy sold for $6.44 a 1966 Rico Petrocelli sold for $7.36---But a 3 card lot (74-Coleman/75-Helms/78-Yeager sold for 99¢ and a 3 card lot (66-Orioles RC/69-Johnstone/77-Tenace) sold for $1.56 and someone posted a 15 card lot for $6.99 buy it now I am thinking about listing a few on ebay just to see what the would sell for

I can't answer what it does to Beckett value, but in my opinion it makes them worthless to a set collector. I wouldn't add one to my base Topps sets. I don't care what color stamp you put on it or label it rare, common or super rare - it is a ruined card to me.

To a player collector, it may be a nice little chase, but to a set collector, I think they become poor grade cards that wouldn't even be used as filler.

Your exactly right to set collector they can't be used to fill in a set hopefully the people who are buying them aren't filling in sets but here is the ultimate chase doing a 792 card mixed set with all originals like an Archives tyoe set

Personally, I would like Topps to continue to include those older cards but discontinue placing the emblem on the cards. I like having an opportunity to get a chance to pull an original 1967 Willie Mays card but I also believe the card's value diminishes when Topps adds that emblem.

Mixed market out here. I am in the camp that they add some flair to otherwise boring common and semi stars from the past that were printed in the millions. I can see the argument for star players with high value, but then again it is making an otherwise "common" card, like a 1967 Mays (there are 1000s & 1000s of them out there still in all conditions) and making it very unique. In the end, there will be 85,000 (just a random number with no meaning) 67T Mays cards and less than 100 (probably less than 10) with a foil stamp.

Certain players and cards may sell very well. I collect garvey and several others do as well and some of his stamped singles were snapped up at higher BINs and some were battled over at auction, but then you might find a similar star sell for a fraction of the price or not at all because you didn't have 2 loonies fighting over it!

Your exactly right to set collector they can't be used to fill in a set hopefully the people who are buying them aren't filling in sets but here is the ultimate chase doing a 792 card mixed set with all originals like an Archives tyoe set

I would like to see that as a finished set - I know some folks do that with the A/G minis.

Personally, I would like Topps to continue to include those older cards but discontinue placing the emblem on the cards. I like having an opportunity to get a chance to pull an original 1967 Willie Mays card but I also believe the card's value diminishes when Topps adds that emblem.

They actually did do that, in the 1991 set, I believe. I remember pulling a 1975 Harmon Killebrew card from a pack

Mixed market out here. I am in the camp that they add some flair to otherwise boring common and semi stars from the past that were printed in the millions. I can see the argument for star players with high value, but then again it is making an otherwise "common" card, like a 1967 Mays (there are 1000s & 1000s of them out there still in all conditions) and making it very unique. In the end, there will be 85,000 (just a random number with no meaning) 67T Mays cards and less than 100 (probably less than 10) with a foil stamp.

Certain players and cards may sell very well. I collect garvey and several others do as well and some of his stamped singles were snapped up at higher BINs and some were battled over at auction, but then you might find a similar star sell for a fraction of the price or not at all because you didn't have 2 loonies fighting over it!

I would tend to agree - I haven't seen any Pucketts come up with the logos/emblems on them, but would definitely add them to my PC.

Amen! Just insert the older cards and don't add the emblem! Best regards, David