well , THAT didnt last long , another not-so-mini rant....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmcjr99

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
purchased an item (a specific serially numbered basketball card - item number 290593795005) from a different user (kenfontaine101) on august 5th....when the item ended at $12.85 , the seller sent me the following email complaining about the low closing price :

Dear cmcjr99,
AMAZING....NOBODY EVEN BID THIS UP TO $20. I'M DEPRESSED! MATTER-OF-FACT, I'LL GIVE YOU A FREE $5 JUST TO LET ME KEEP IT?
- kenfontaine101

i sent the following reply :

Dear kenfontaine101,
wow.....i admit i was surprised too....i was expecting it to go for 18-20 ....as for your offer , it's very tempting , but to be honest , i think i'd rather have the card....aside from his stuff numbered below 10 , that one has been one of the hardest for me to nail down....just let me know what other items you may have available and hopefully we can do something that wont be too painful for either of us....

- cmcjr99

he replied once more :
Dear cmcjr99,
LOL...I DIDN'T THINK YOU WOULD ACCEPT THAT! HEY I HAD TO TRY THOUGH, BUT IN ALL HONESTLY THAT JUST MAKES NO SINCE. JAMESON CURRY SOLD FOR MORE!!! I JUST LISTED 40 MORE ITEMS IF YOUR INTERESTED THOUGH. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR BIDS, AND I'LL HOLD ON TO MY 18 OTHER BJ MULLENS GOLDS I HAVE LEFT TILL NEXT YEAR. HE WAS MY BIG MONEY PROJECT AND I HAVE OVER 50 OF HIS REGULAR AUTO'S AS WELL. ****, HIS REGULAR AUTO'S COSTED ME MORE THAN THAT! MATTER-OF-FACT, I THINK I'M GOING TO LOOK HIM UP ON FACEBOOK AND TRY TO CONVINCE HIM THAT HE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING NEXT YEAR OR ELSE I MAY HAVE TO ROB A LIQUOR STORE...LOL
- kenfontaine101

payment was then made on august 9th .....just over two weeks later on august 25th , with no sign of my item , i wrote the seller again :

Dear kenfontaine101,
hi ken....
sorry to bother you , but just wanted to check to see if you have any info for me as to why i haven't gotten my card yet or when i can expect its arrival....
thanks ,
claude
- cmcjr99

at that time he emailed me back with this :

Dear cmcjr99,
Ebay and paypal froze my accounts leaving me unable to do anything!!! I'm sending you a refund now. Really sorry about that, but to be quite honest...ebay just royally screwed me by kicking me off with a perfect account!!!
- kenfontaine101

at this point i posted the following positive feedback simply because i got my money back :

got refund - would have rather had card though...thanks anyway

despite the positive feedback i was suspicious ....not only had he openly admitted he was not happy with the final price on his listing , he had actually offered to PAY ME to NOT follow through on the transaction......he also expected me to believe that his account was frozen yet he could access it to send a refund ? furthermore , his ebay account did not display the typical "no longer a registered user" tag....

fast forward to today , september 25th....i'm going through my ebay "new items that match...." daily emails when i see a familiar item ....ebay item number 270823561381 06-07 EXQUISITE RENALDO BALKMAN RC AUTO GOLD /30 (BIN ONLY $29.99) being sold by a new user : new_little_card_shop

this is the exact same card (as can be seen in the serial number 30/32) and from essentially the same place (user's old ID used orlando , florida , new Id uses winter park , florida)

in short , the seller was not happy with the price his card realized at auction so he simply refused to send the item after it was paid for ...now he has opened a new account and relisted the item for a higher price....i am not happy ....i want my card for the price i won it for in august AND i want the seller to be held accountable for his actions....

all the above is the transcript of what i sent to ebay (for the first time in my own experiences , when i tried to call in to report the issue the ebay rep essentially said i still had to do it on my own via email).....

and for once , i decided to LEAVE the ebay ID's in this message as a warning to any who deal with this shady seller in the future....his real name (or at least the one on his pay pal account is KEITH WILLIAMS.....not so sure of the validity of that either since he seems to be wiling to become someone new so quickly.....

Last edited:
I hope Ebay does something about this for you! I have sold plenty of cards for less than I was hoping for on Ebay, but that's the breaks.

Ebay won't "do" anything about it. Especially since you didn't utilize any of the buyer protections AND you left positive fb. Guy refuses to sell you the card after whining about the closing price and you still leave a positive ? Why would you do that ???? He may be a snake but you're a snake enabler :eek:

Ebay won't "do" anything about it. Especially since you didn't utilize any of the buyer protections AND you left positive fb. Guy refuses to sell you the card after whining about the closing price and you still leave a positive ? Why would you do that ???? He may be a snake but you're a snake enabler :eek:

actually methinks you're wrong....ebay has already confirmed that the same user does indeed own both accounts and based upon that there is a decent chance he will face some kind of punishment (the last rep i spoke to mentioned the likelihood of him having his new account shut down if he is found to be guilty of what they have already acknowledge to be completely obvious - now it just needs to go through the proper channels).....

in the meantime , i felt it was not a bad idea to post this to make others aware of this guy and his shady practices....if you feel you don't want or need the info , please , ignore it - fully no disrespect intended , but it obviously isn't meant for you since i am posting this primarily as a warning to others to be on the lookout for either of these user ID's OR his "real" name ....i mean , really , i wasn't SCAMMED , but i was WRONGED and i'd like to help others avoid the same thing or any potential escalation of his bad practices....

as for the buyer protections , technically that is not even as issue because i was issued a FULL REFUND (which i did not request)...i just PREFER to have received the card instead...

as for me being a "snake enabler" , i beg to differ....i had dealt with him on numerous occasions in the past without issue so at that point in time i had no reason to doubt him and though i did have an uneasy feeling about the validity of his excuse , there was nothing i could do to prove it at that time.....i waited approximately a week after he sent the refund before posting his feedback....before that (and actually for the next 3 weeks afterward) i repeatedly checked his ID to see if he tried to relist any of the items in question but he did not....no activity at all on the old account since the first week of august.....as i already stated , i then left him positive feedback based on his giving me the refund along with an explanation , however unlikely it sounded....

it was a full 4 weeks later that he FINALLY listed his first items on a new account.....frankly , with the totally different ID and the different city on the item page , i doubt most anyone else has noticed ....i may not have even noticed except that one of the few items he listed this week was the exact same card i had won a month earlier....

Last edited:
update :

A) around 8pm sunday seller sent me an email via ebay's message system asking me to email him at a completely different email than he uses for either ebay account or his paypal account....

B) 3 hours later seller sent me a "pay pal request for payment" in the amount of the original sale including shipping....the request was not linked to any ebay transaction and only specified it was for "goods" in the amount of $16.xx......he issued this excuse :

I was going through some things and had not a cent to my name, plus, ebay screwed me over. So here ya are and I hope all is well. Please give me your address again so I can ship. I will get it out no later than tuesday, and once again I'm really sorry for this inconvience.

NO...im not that gullible.....no way do i trust him to send him any money now with no transaction linked to it which would mean zero protection from ebay or paypal.....

C) ebay sent me an email late sunday night (3 am monday in fact) asking me to call back to provide more details and help in their effort to verify the violations of the seller...

and finally (for now anyway) D ) called ebay back and spent the past 45 minutes talking with someone who is putting together a case against the seller for his blatant policy violations....just hope this effort results in preventing others from dealing with this crap....

Claude, sorry to hear about this situation. It's a shame that some sellers do not accept the risk that they take by auctioning off their items...

off-topic a bit...I have a decent Renaldo Balkman rookie collection that I have available including several AU. I'm not sure what you have of him, so you may already have them all, but I can get you a list if you like.

Thanks
Kirby

why did you leave + feedback for a suspicious transaction?

already answered - twice :

in my OP :

at this point i posted the following positive feedback simply because i got my money back :

got refund - would have rather had card though...thanks anyway

and then in my reply to mintman :

i had dealt with him on numerous occasions in the past without issue so at that point in time i had no reason to doubt him and though i did have an uneasy feeling about the validity of his excuse , there was nothing i could do to prove it at that time.....i waited approximately a week after he sent the refund before posting his feedback....before that (and actually for the next 3 weeks afterward) i repeatedly checked his ID to see if he tried to relist any of the items in question but he did not....no activity at all on the old account since the first week of august.....as i already stated , i then left him positive feedback based on his giving me the refund along with an explanation , however unlikely it sounded....

Claude, sorry to hear about this situation. It's a shame that some sellers do not accept the risk that they take by auctioning off their items...

off-topic a bit...I have a decent Renaldo Balkman rookie collection that I have available including several AU. I'm not sure what you have of him, so you may already have them all, but I can get you a list if you like.

Thanks
Kirby

can never have too many balkmans......what ya got ??? :D

can never have too many balkmans......what ya got ??? :D

I have the following Renaldo Balkman:
06-07 Bowman RC #138
06-07 Bowman Rookie Relics /249 #BBDR-RB
06-07 Bowman Chrome AU RC #138
06-07 Bowman Chrome Xfractor /150 #138
06-07 Bowman Sterling AU RC #85
06-07 Exquisite AU RC /225 #59
06-07 Finest RC #93 x2
06-07 Finest Refractor AU #93
06-07 Fleer RC #231
06-07 Hot Prospects JSY AU RC /250 #76
06-07 SP Authentic AU RC /999 #110
06-07 SP Game Used RC /999 #220
06-07 SPx JSY AU RC /1199 #146
06-07 Sweet Shot AU RC /799 #106
06-07 Topps RC #259
06-07 Topps Chrome RC #178
06-07 Topps Full Court RC /999 #237
06-07 Topps Luxury Box RC #56
06-07 Topps Luxury Box Parallel /499 #56
06-07 Topps Triple Threads AU RC /99 #102
06-07 Topps Turkey Red RC #214
06-07 Ultimate Collection AU RC /350 #211
06-07 Ultra RC #232
06-07 Upper Deck Hardcourt RC /1750 #113
06-07 Upper Deck Reflections RC /399 #132
06-07 Upper Deck Reserve RC #219 x2
06-07 Upper Deck Rookie Debut #122
06-07 Upper Dck Trilogy /499 #117

I also have the following Sidney Rice:
2007 Bowman Chrome Sidney Rice RC #BC79
2007 Bowman Chrome Sidney Rice Refractor RC #BC79
2007 Bowman Chrome Sidney Rice Unirculated Refractor RC /1079 #BC79
2007 Bowman Orange Sidney Rice RC /250 #149
2007 Bowman Sterling Sidney Rice JSY RC #BSRR-SR
2007 Donruss Classics Sidney Rice RC /1499 #178
2007 Finest Sidney Rice RC #137
2007 Finest Moments Sidney Rice #RFM-SR
2007 Leaf Certified Materials Sidney Rice JSY RC /1499 #233
2007 Playoff Prestige Sidney Rice RC #128
2007 SAGE Sidney Rice Gold Level AU /200 #A44
2007 Score Sidney Rice RC #339 (19)
2007 Score Select Sidney Rice Gold Zone RC /50 #339
2007 Topps Sidney Rice RC #324 (5)
2007 Topps Chrome Sidney Rice RC #TC204
2007 Topps Chrome Sidney Rice Refractor RC #TC204
2007 Topps Chrome Sidney Rice Blue Refractor RC #TC204
2007 Topps Chrome Sidney Rice White Refractor RC /869 #TC204
2007 Topps Chrome Sidney Rice Xfractor RC #TC204
2007 Topps Co-Signers Sidney Rice RC /2249 #88
2007 Topps DP&P Chrome Black Sidney Rice RC #154
2007 Topps DP&P Sidney Rice Bronze Refractor /250 #154
2007 Topps Performance Sidney Rice RC /359 #117
2007 Topps Performance Sidney Rice RC /199 #117
2007 Topps Rookie Premiere Sidney Rice AU #RPA-SR
2007 Topps Total Sidney Rice RC #479
2007 Ultra Sidney Rice RC #259
2007 Upper Deck First Edition Sidney Rice RC #137
2007 Upper Deck Trilogy Sidney Rice RC /399 #117

PLMK if interested in anything.

Thanks
Kirby

It's a pretty bad story, but I had worse happen to me. Back in the day, I sent off a money order for $8 for an auction I won. Luckily I got the MO for free, just had to put a stamp on the envelope. I won a $6 for $6+s/h. Instead of my card, I received a note from the seller saying "I couldn't let it go for that little" and a couple of base cards. And my money order back, but it was made out to him. *sigh* IKON sportscards, maker of homemade 1/1's and homemade graded cards.

Anyway, I know it feels good to get the guy in trouble with ebay and paypal, but he'll be back with a new account in no time. So it is kind of a waste of your time...

ETA: The guy is just inexperienced. Next time his card sells for too little, he'll tell the buyer "The card was damaged, my kid spilled kool-aid on it!" or "Somehow I lost this card and now I can't find it!" or some other gem. It happens every day on ebay.

As for following the policies for buyer protection or whatever that nonsense was, there is no way that ebay or paypal is going to go the sellers house and get the card for you. If he doesn't want to send it to you, you aren't going to get it.

Last edited:

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online