What do your parents/wife/husband..ect think of your card hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My parents fully support my card hobby, and I am very grateful for that, because not many seem to. They understand that this hobby has pretty much kept me a good distance from some of the bad decisions teenagers seem to be making during high school.

Plus, my dad collected cards when he was a kid, so I always have someone to talk cards with when my friends aren't around. :) He never misses a moment to tell me that he wishes he could have passed down his collection to me, had his parents not thrown them out (hence the Topps "Cards Your Mom Threw Out" series!).

My dad supports my card collection. In fact, it was his cards from when he was a kid that got me started.

My mom was always glad that I had a hobby that didn't clutter up anything more than 1 room in the house.

My wife doesn't always understand it, but she supports it overall... It helps that she is a huge A's fan also and I collect bobbleheads for her.

- Chris

Drives my wife nuts,then she goes and buys them for me.If she is somewhere where she finds cards of all sports.Unless she needs my desk. She loves me,she loves me not,she loves me !!!

for a while it was the same for me i had to ask my dad for every trade if i could, but he stopped that when he realized i got the hang of it (as in whats a good, fair trade and whats a poor, bad trade)

my dad always talks about how he's in this business as well and how he owns half of the cards, and how if i ever sell (which i doubt i will how he gets half of whatever i get, but i guess i should be saying he THINKS!!!! HE'S getting half lol :p

for a while it was the same for me i had to ask my dad for every trade if i could, but he stopped that when he realized i got the hang of it (as in whats a good, fair trade and whats a poor, bad trade)

my dad always talks about how he's in this business as well and how he owns half of the cards, and how if i ever sell (which i doubt i will how he gets half of whatever i get, but i guess i should be saying he THINKS!!!! HE'S getting half lol :p

WOW

My wife rolls her eyes when I talk about card shows, but she likes to open packs with me. And since I have my 9 year old liking it too, she doesn't complain as much as I thought she would. My mother still has a soft spot when I mention cards, all the years she and late father would buy me packs, sheets, and boxes at the local flea market! Lucky, I guess!!

My mom I think is getting annoyed by everything same with my Grandparents but my dad is always interested in seeing anything I pick up. I definately wouldnt call them super supportive but they don't really look down on me for it.

Interesting thread.

My wife laments my collection. My allotted space for my stuff is getting smaller and smaller (we have our first child on the way). She doesn't really like cards, but she likes auto'ed baseballs. I suppose she finds the chase and the stories behind getting them more exciting.

But at the same time, she really doesn't mind. As long as I stay in the budget, it's all good.

I'm 17 and my parents dont really mind except that I spend a lot of my money on baseball card packs. They think that I have to many cards when I hardly have any but they dont really mind about me trading and let me trade what i want. The good thing is that my brother (21) also collects cards and so we both kinda argue with my parents. It is nice that I have someone to talk cards with and who I can share things about card collecting with

Most married women can find ANYTHING better to spend your time and money on than baseball cards. Go build me a raised flower bed, buy me a new TV, blah, blah, blah!

My wife married into this deal, so she gets what she got.

As long as it doesn't affect the family adversely, then it should not be an issue, meaning you should not be feeding the card habit before the rent, spending time sorting cards and trading when the kids need help with homework, etc.

It could be worse...so those wives, siblings, parents, etc should be happy it's something safe, educational and possibly even capable of a financial return someday.

My wife is supportive of the hobby but not how much I spend. I usually don't go in to specifics and she doesn't ask but if she did....I just might be single :eek: She does even take the time to know the players and even a little bit about Lou Gehrig so I applaud her for that.

Dewayne