What do your parents/wife/husband..ect think of your card hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Last week I bought two $20 retail boxed of 2010 Bowman rookies and prospects. I got a blue refractor autograph in both boxes, I let them know that those where rare (being #/199) and my family though it was very cool. I also had some help from the family, looking for cards to get signed TTM this upcoming year.

My wife is very supportive of my collection/habit/adiction to baseball cards. Before our daughter was born, she would actually go to shows with me and have me print out a duplicate list. I was putting together vintage sets (73-78 Topps). She would go through boxes at other tables, have the dealer set the cards aside and come get me. It saved me a ton of time at shows and I'm sure scored me some cards that I'm sure I would not have gotten to. It usually cost me dinner at a nice restaurant.
Now my 6 year old daughter has caught on and won't let my wife out of Target or Walmart without picking up a pack or two of Topps. A couple of years ago she threw such a fit in the parking lot that my wife actually went back in the store to get cards. :D I supposed I may be a bit responsible for that since I build her a base set every year and put it in a binder in her room. She is getting very knowledgable for 6.
Anyway, I'm very lucky to have the support I do for my collection.

Thanks for the look,
Marvin

What's funny is my wife doesn't complain much about it, she knows I enjoy it..but she said my eyes lit up when I was talking about 2011 Topps, and sparkled when I showed her what I had so far! Guess I'm possessed!!

My parents are to blame for getting me and my brother into the hobby 23 years ago at the age of 9. They saw it as a way for me to focus my time and money on something I enjoyed instead of other vices kids/teens get into.

My wife accepts my hobby as well. She used to be a magic the gathering geek, so she understands the collecting and trading and fully supports me. As long as it doesn't break the bank and doesn't take over the whole house. Got close there for a while, but I'm working on getting everything organized and at least it's all in one room now. :)

My wife is supportive but she doesn't get it. Every once in a while she'll joke, "How can you get that excited about a piece of cardboard?"
I say, "How can you get excited about a tiny rock on your finger?"
Of course she counters, "You should see how excited I would get if you got me a BIG rock."

My wife collects too, only she collects the "New" stuff. I collect vintage FB. My wife is determined to do a complete 2006 Donruss Classics FB set. She also collects Lance Berkman cards. She also loved the 2007 Goudey Baseball, and some Hockey cards. Besides vintage FB, I collect Hall of Fame players form the 20's-70's.

My wife collects too, only she collects the "New" stuff. I collect vintage FB. My wife is determined to do a complete 2006 Donruss Classics FB set. She also collects Lance Berkman cards. She also loved the 2007 Goudey Baseball, and some Hockey cards. Besides vintage FB, I collect Hall of Fame players form the 20's-70's.

Does your wife need this:

2006 Bazooka Blue Lance Berkman

My mother is very supportive of my interest in the hobby. In fact, she shares my passion for the hobby with certain products. She also has the mojo touch at times (with 2010 Bowman Platinum, she had last pack mojo both for me and a friend - autographs in both packs).

Also thanks to her I know I have to control my spending. Without her encouraging me to watch what I spend, my hobby purchases would be out of control.

(I'm 23 going on 24, by the way.)

M exwife did not understand it but really did not care until the divorce when she tried to take half.

My present GF is awesome about it, we go to shows and she looks for cards I might like or want. Makes note to self have wantlist printed for the next show. She kept on asking you need this? I kept on saying got it. :)

She also does not understand the space it takes but it is my house and she is living with me.

Just wish I had more time.