What does your LCS look like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaddie84

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I've always wanted to share photos mine...and they made it easy for me by posting up photos on the web (I just ran into these pics tonight). I've only been to a handful of card shops in my life. This one is a bit more on the cluttered side, but what I like about that is you can usually find almost anything you're looking for. A sealed box of 1990s Sportflics cards? Check. 1980s Pirates base cards? Check. An autographed framed 8x10 of Adam Sandler? Check. Since it's tucked away in our local mall, it's my favorite hiding spot when my wife and I go shopping.

Link

The only other shops I've been two were a couple others in town. One is primarily an eBay business with a store front, and the other closed down 15 years ago. They used to sell coins/cards...but now focus only on coins. I visted one in Boise when traveling for work and a couple in the Twin cities area as well. Always fun stops :).

Anyone else have photos or descriptions to share?

We sorta have one but I go maybe once a year. They have 4-5 different boxes of cards and some Vikings/Twins/T'wolves cards and thats pretty much it.

Used to have an amazing shop but he close up about 10 years ago.

I wish I had a local card shop...but sadly I don't...I mostly pick up cards off of ebay, on here and at Target or Wal Mart

Your shop looks almost the same as my local hobby store...The only change would be replace the racing stuff with star wars stuff! Best regards, David

Here's the card shop i use to go to weekly & still vistit when in town. They have everything imaginable single cards, huge selection of packs/boxes, comics, jerseys, hats, posters, magic, knives, swords...

http://www.boscos.com/1-907-274-4112/sportscards.html

chaddie84 - We share the same LCS. Nick is a super nice guy, greets you when you walk through the door. His set up is good & has a wide selection for the collector. Something thats always bothered me his prices on cards. I understand they have to make money but then you have $0.25-$2 cards all marked the same for $0.99 makes you not wanna buy. Another good example is his 08 topps M&M black /25 maddux. All bv for $4 but yet has them priced at $2.79-$3.79. I asked if he could come down on the price some but he couldnt let a maddux /25 go for less. Ive only bought storage boxes there during the card shows.

the only real shop on the Kansas side of Kansas City is primarily just a store front to get people off the street with old singles to come in an sell. He does carry current wax and usually as soon as it is released, so I can at least grab products quick.

I'm far from a high-roller, but it is nice to have one shop around the area still. I have picked up a few singles over the years as well.

I wish the card show circuit would stop by KC at least once a year. 6 years ago we had Tri-Star twice a year and Naxcom/Altman at least every other year if not the same year. Now it's the same 3-5 locations for 'mall-type' shows with the same crap being peddled 90% of the tables.

I went in once and there were too many kids playing card games. The owner was doing his best to help, but ended up ignoring me a little too much, considering his set up required you to talk to him (browse factor sucked).

I went back once more when I needed something fast and it was the same story. I can't stand a card shop packed with kids playing fantasy games. Sorry, there are warehouses and comic shops for that. If that is how the guy makes his money, fine. He won't get any of mine.

There are no card shops in my area any more. I believe there is one in Marysville, about 30 miles away, but I don't get down that way very often.

I need good browse factors or I don't go back to shops. I hate to have to ask for pricing on everything and I want to "discover" goodies as I browse. Shops with pre-priced boxes and bins are by far my favorite. I like to know what it is going to cost me as I go. If I have to ask, then I end up putting stuff back most of the time and I waste my time looking for nothing.

Last edited:
Here's the card shop i use to go to weekly & still vistit when in town. They have everything imaginable single cards, huge selection of packs/boxes, comics, jerseys, hats, posters, magic, knives, swords...

http://www.boscos.com/1-907-274-4112/sportscards.html

chaddie84 - We share the same LCS. Nick is a super nice guy, greets you when you walk through the door. His set up is good & has a wide selection for the collector. Something thats always bothered me his prices on cards. I understand they have to make money but then you have $0.25-$2 cards all marked the same for $0.99 makes you not wanna buy. Another good example is his 08 topps M&M black /25 maddux. All bv for $4 but yet has them priced at $2.79-$3.79. I asked if he could come down on the price some but he couldnt let a maddux /25 go for less. Ive only bought storage boxes there during the card shows.

That shop looks like a fun place to visit, although I doubt I'll be visiting Alaska any time soon. The seating room looks nice, and it's always great to be able to find a little bit of everything. Seating room is one thing I'd like to see at our shop, although, I do like how there's a banquet room for semi-annual shows right next door. Those are usually a lot of fun.

I'm not sure on the singles at our LCS. I know most stuff is marked around 50% off Beckett high book and they do "memberships" which is 50% off singles...so essentially 75% off book on most stuff. Exceptions would probably be the local 9 and Vikings stuff, although I've gotten some nice Twins autos from time to time. I don't buy too many singles there myself, and if I do, it's in trade.

Wax is usually priced pretty good early on, but if the stuff gets hot and he runs out of stock, if he reloads and the suppliers prices go up, box prices go up too, which is understandable, but it makes it tough for me to spend the extra cash sometimes when I know I can pick up a box online for cheaper. If a product tanks, though, the price usually stays the same...and collects dust, but if the market value gets below cost, he'll bust it before selling it :p.

Ive thought about the membership thing but they dont have enough maddux cards to make it worth it, other wise i would consider. The other card shop you mentioned as being primarily an eBay business with a store front, is that the one next door to apple bees ?

My city, Sheboygan WI, like most does not have a LCS anymore. In the late 80's and early 90's we had some great one's, and like most I have several 5,000 count boxes to prove how much time I spent there.

I hope that as trends move in cycles there could be a "rebirth" of the LCS, although by that time my son will be a teenager and Topps Opening Day will be $20 a pack.:rolleyes:

Ive thought about the membership thing but they dont have enough maddux cards to make it worth it, other wise i would consider. The other card shop you mentioned as being primarily an eBay business with a store front, is that the one next door to apple bees ?

Yeah. There was also one for a short time int he Moorhead center mall. Both of those shops were mostly singles and not a lot of wax, if any.

My city, Sheboygan WI, like most does not have a LCS anymore. In the late 80's and early 90's we had some great one's, and like most I have several 5,000 count boxes to prove how much time I spent there.

I hope that as trends move in cycles there could be a "rebirth" of the LCS, although by that time my son will be a teenager and Topps Opening Day will be $20 a pack.:rolleyes:
I wonder if the LCS will make a comeback? Some of the card companies like UD are putting in policies to will give "brick and mortar" storefronts first dibs on new product, so that may change things in the future...or it will just force the big-time online retailers to build a storefront themselves :p.

There are actually 3 shops in Columbus within 10 miles

The one I frequent the most is called "Chuck and Barb's". I enjoy going there becuase Chuck is super friendly and is always willing to help out. Good selection of singles from all sports, always has new product, and has every supply imaginable. Also has a lot of random other stuff such as coins, beanie babies, and other random kid games that come and go. Only problem is the prices. It is an more affluent area and his prices seem to keep going up. Topps baseball jumbo packs were $16.99 this year which is too expensive for me. Also prices never seem to drop for older wax that goes unsold. He still has a box of 2000 skybox baseball for $80. I typically just buy supplies or a few packs now and then, because those are still reasonably priced and I like to support the LCS as much as I can.

Next is Hartman's. I don't make it up there as often because their hours are the greatest, but you can get a bunch of deals. There prices are pretty good, and the generally have new product, but they only ordered topps product because the owner had a tiff with upper deck at some point (not an issue since topps is the only one making baseball). This place is a set builders heaven. The entire length of the store has cards sorted by set and number in large white boxes on shelves going about 6-7 shelves high. He typically opens a case worth of the bigger products and at least a few boxes of everything else. All inserts and parallels under $10 go in his insert box for $.75, so you can find some great deals if you go at the right time. Only problem is they have a no trading policy, so all store stuff needs to be purchased.

The last one is Cricket's grand slam. I've only been there twice. It's relatively small and attached to the side of an indoor batting cage/sports type complex. They have some product and not a ton of singles for trade, but they have a lot more of autographed memorabilia and auto'd 8X10s and stuff. They only have random staff watching the store, so it doesn't have the type of feeling that a normal owner gives a store.

I find myself frequenting these stores less and spending more money at the shows that roll through every few months or on ebay since I don't open many packs anymore.

Dan

I wish I could own a brick and mortar....Someday Someday

Same here. I've always wanted to run a business with a storefront. Either a hobby shop or a games/DVDs/electronics shop. I brought up the idea to my wife who pretty much shot it down...maybe when I can afford to quit my day job and buy the LCS outright...time to start saving! :D

There are actually 3 shops in Columbus within 10 miles

The one I frequent the most is called "Chuck and Barb's". I enjoy going there becuase Chuck is super friendly and is always willing to help out. Good selection of singles from all sports, always has new product, and has every supply imaginable. Also has a lot of random other stuff such as coins, beanie babies, and other random kid games that come and go. Only problem is the prices. It is an more affluent area and his prices seem to keep going up. Topps baseball jumbo packs were $16.99 this year which is too expensive for me. Also prices never seem to drop for older wax that goes unsold. He still has a box of 2000 skybox baseball for $80. I typically just buy supplies or a few packs now and then, because those are still reasonably priced and I like to support the LCS as much as I can.

Next is Hartman's. I don't make it up there as often because their hours are the greatest, but you can get a bunch of deals. There prices are pretty good, and the generally have new product, but they only ordered topps product because the owner had a tiff with upper deck at some point (not an issue since topps is the only one making baseball). This place is a set builders heaven. The entire length of the store has cards sorted by set and number in large white boxes on shelves going about 6-7 shelves high. He typically opens a case worth of the bigger products and at least a few boxes of everything else. All inserts and parallels under $10 go in his insert box for $.75, so you can find some great deals if you go at the right time. Only problem is they have a no trading policy, so all store stuff needs to be purchased.

The last one is Cricket's grand slam. I've only been there twice. It's relatively small and attached to the side of an indoor batting cage/sports type complex. They have some product and not a ton of singles for trade, but they have a lot more of autographed memorabilia and auto'd 8X10s and stuff. They only have random staff watching the store, so it doesn't have the type of feeling that a normal owner gives a store.

I find myself frequenting these stores less and spending more money at the shows that roll through every few months or on ebay since I don't open many packs anymore.

Dan

Shop #1 sounds like a lot of fun to visit.

Are you saying Hartmans busts its own product, sorts the singles and sells them for reasonably cheap (yet good margin)? How fun would it be to work there? What are you doing for work today? Just busting/sorting cards, and I get paid to do it! :D