What is Your Favorite Card & Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soxfan33

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hey everyone,

I just got this Frank Thomas '92 Fleer Rookie Sensations for $3 on sportlots.com. I only bought it because I had one of these as a kid, and it was my favorite along with my Roger Clemens Topps rookie.

This card was THE card for me to have when Thomas came out, and I picked it up in a trade. It was the first card I had that was glossy with the gold lettering, and Frank Thomas was big. I don't remember what I did with my old one now, so I picked up another one this week.

So I thought I'd start a thread for us to share our favorite card. Single cards only, and explain why it's your favorite.

Have fun!
John

(bad scan, the card looks great!)
IMG.jpg

Last edited:
1984 Topps AS Dave Winfield #402. It was one of the first of the three Dave Winfield cards I actually bought to start my Winfield collection. It had to have been in the fall of 1986, and at a yard sale, some kid was selling baseball cards. I picked up the AS card, a 1984 Donruss and his 1984 Topps Super. I actually had the Super framed on my bedroom wall for years.

I'm not even sure why I picked them, up, but I think it was because I had a poster on my wall of him from some cereal box, and this was the first time I realized there were more cards in the world than the one pack of 1983 Topps I had bough a few years before (and completely neglected).

That was basically when I started collecting. After that, every flea market and card show found me digging for Winfields. Now, 24 years and over 1000 different cards later, I'm still at it.

I'm an old timer, and I recall the 1961 Topps Mantle as being the card I most wanted to pull from the packs I bought at the Adams Sisters' candy store in Ridgewood, Queens.
It looks kind of plain now, but back then, to an 8 year old who worshipped The Mick, it was the Holy Grail.

Frank

I can be sure which card is my favorite, because I do have a few that I really like.
However, I really like cards that have pictures of the player signing autographs, or being fan friendly.

People were going crazy opening packs trying to get the 1992 fleer rookie sensations. Frank was in the $100 range at that time....My favorite card is the Frank Thomas 1990 leaf....loved the white edges and the cards were so colorful. If I have another chance to get his autograph....it would be on an off-center 1990 leaf card! Best regards, David

Me also being a big Frank Thomas fan but my favorite card is his 1996 Leaf Preferred Staremaster. Awesome card got if from the neighbor back when Thomas cards were going through the roof. But I will also say my other top favorite card the first autograph I got of him 2004 Playoff Absolute Spectrum Signatures #d/50. Took me nearly ten years to get an autograph of him and I was thrilled when I finally could get one thanks to trading cards over the Internet.

I love that 62 Mantle too.

My favorite card is 1971 Topps #395 Roy White. That was the year I really seriously started collecting, taking whatever money I made shoveling snow and going to the corner store and buying packs.

I would pretend to be Roy White when I played...which we did every day in the Church parking lot.

Jordan

In 1987, I bought a box of '86 Fleer basketball for $5 at a card show in Bloomington, MN. I sold the Jordan in '92 for $1200.00, along with my gatorade slam dunk Star set.

I wish I wouldn't have.

In 1987, I bought a box of '86 Fleer basketball for $5 at a card show in Bloomington, MN. I sold the Jordan in '92 for $1200.00, along with my gatorade slam dunk Star set.

I wish I wouldn't have.

I know it was special to have the one you pulled, but you shouldn't hate fetching a return like that. You can buy a nice graded copy of that card for half of that price.

Tim

I know it was special to have the one you pulled, but you shouldn't hate fetching a return like that. You can buy a nice graded copy of that card for half of that price.

Tim

Agreed. Whenever I have a chance to make a healthy profit, it's sold. The way the hobby has been for the last 15 years, I figure I will be able to pick it up cheaper later, aside from maybe a strict PSA 10 vintage.

Awesome stories guys! This is why I started the thread. You don't get to hear this stuff much, and after getting the Frank Thomas, I was curious to hear other people's stories.

Tim - that was awesome of your dad!

Keep them coming!

John

2001 Topps Archives Reserve Autograph Nolan Ryan. I pulled this card from a blaster I purchased at KMart on my birthday in 2001.

1976 Topps Traded #74T Oscar Gamble (for obvious reasons.)

1976ToppsTradedGamble.jpg

I have one in a screwdown case in my wallet.:D

This one:

cole_0003.jpg

I bought it in a lot of 25 cards from this set a year ago back when USA autos of quality players could be had for a lot less. Two of them were Gerrit Coles but of the 25 cards, this was the only one w/o a sticker auto. I was originally upset until I realized I could get it signed in person. I got it signed in the fall when I ran into him on campus before his class. He normally rushes his autograph and uses #12 (UCLA jersey number) on everything he signs here but he signed using the matching number on this card. In addition, the non glossy photos on these cards really make them look amazing. It's a shame Topps took over the USA license.

I also converted a Steve Rodriguez (Gerrit's catcher) USA Bowman Chrome sticker auto into an on card auto but have yet to scan it.

This one has been my favorite for awhile now. It took me awhile to find one I liked to fit in with my T206 Red Sox team set, and I eventually found this one. Its not perfect by any extent, but to be honest I never thought I'd actually own one.

SpeakerT206SGC30.jpg