Whats up with Bill Russell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PRosefan1

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Well, this was a success. Sort of!!

I sent a couple of cards with an atuo request. He3 signes one of the four but here is where it gets weird.

On my return envelope he blacked out his address "the red pine court one." Inside with my auto and the unsigned one was a business cardtype note. It read and I quote.

"This is the only piece of memorabilia I will sign for you. Please do NOT send any more items to this address. They will NOT be signed or returned. Thank you for your cooperation. Bill Russell"

I guess I should be happy for the one I did get but this was an odd experience for me. Anybody have a similar experience? DAVE

And for those wondering, I sent three different cards one double in my request. With a nice letter and stamped return envelope. Just like all the rest.

Last edited:
He is a notoriously reluctant signer. The fact you got anything from him is a major success. One of the selling points when he does his very rare guest signing appearances where he is extremely expensive is that it affords those that need his signature an opportunity to even get it.

He is a notoriously reluctant signer. The fact you got anything from him is a major success. One of the selling points when he does his very rare guest signing appearances where he is extremely expensive is that it affords those that need his signature an opportunity to even get it.

Wow lucky me then!! Im just really happy to add another Dodger to my collection. Thanks for the info. Dave

Are you talking about the basketball player?

I think the OP is talking about the former Dodger shortstop.

Michael

Up through the middle of last year, he was one of the greatest signers ever... signed as many as you'd send! As of 2013, his habits changed, and he is only signing one card, and I bet in the near future, zero.

He's probably keeping a log or a database of who writes to him because people have abused it over the years.

He's probably keeping a log or a database of who writes to him because people have abused it over the years.

That would be kind of funny in a way. I can almost picture some millionaire athlete keeping track of who has asked him for an autograph!!

This would be the former Dodger, Bill Russell, not the Basketball HOF great, James was probably thinking of. Russell was a great signer for years, either IP or TTM, but that trend has changed. Sounds like those signing days are sadly coming to an end.

I accidentally sent him a card to sign thinking he was Bill Russell the basketball player....he was then nice enough to send a kind letter back. Later on then I sent him a couple cards to sign. But yes he was one of the nicer TTM signers that I have seen through the years.

I have always had great success with Bill. I think I saw that he will be signing at Dodgers Fan Fest this Saturday.