Been in the hobby to long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DemWHBums

BANNED
4.50 star(s)
BANNED
I have been collecting cards since about 1988. My uncles opened up a card shop that year and I was 5. My parents would always take me there and give me $2 to buy singles or packs (back then you could get pretty much stuff for $2). I will never forget a time in 1990 when I went there with $5. I had my choice of a Griffey UD rc or an 8 x 10 auto of Dwight gooden. I chose the 8 x 10 of the doc. I regretted that decision for years to come as the price of the Griffey sky rocketed and gooden chose coke over baseball. That Griffey card eluded me for the next 10 years. I now have 4 of them and still have the gooden sitting around somewhere. The shop closed its doors in 1991 and my uncle has since passed away but I will never forget the days I spent in that shop. Another thing I remember from back then was chasing the up and coming rookies. There are names I will never forget from that time frame. Ricky Jordan, kevin maas, pat kelly, todd van poppel, phil plantier, brien taylor. What I wouldn't give to go back to that time when we were always busting packs to try and search for them. What are some prospects you remember searching for or a story from your early days of collecting?

Bought a box of 87 Donruss and was extremely disappointed that there wasn't a Gregg Jefferies or Dave Magadan in the box.....

I tried to avoid 'prospecting' back then. Too many people all looking for the next superstar. I focused on guys who were flying under the radar, young players with a few good years already behind them, figuring eventually the hobby would catch on to their greatness and THAT was how I was going to make decent money. So I went about shows and shops, quietly stocking up on the Mike Witts, Jorge Bells, Andy Van Slyke and Bill Doran, Benito Santiago, Tim Wallach, Juan Samuel, buying Saberhagen rookies during even #'ed years, Marty Barrett, etc etc.

One of these days everything will fall into place, they'll get their proper due, and I'll be ready to strike when the time arrives! Sometimes it's tough waiting for people to catch up to my genius. ;)

I remember spending a lot of allowance on JT Snow and David Neid!

By the way, I would have chosen the Doc Auto as well. GO METS!

I started collecting cards in 1960 and was a set collector then as well as now. I got started with a school buddy. Fred, and I still trade cards with him today. I remember when we were working on our 1961 Topps set and we were at the "corner grocery store" and bought a few packs each. I pulled a Willie Mays card and traded it to him for a Mickey Mantle card. Each of us was thrilled because it helped with our sets. It was very tough to build sets at that time. We both had sets started and never finished, although some were very close. There were about 10 or 12 boys around town that collected cards and we would meet every Saturday afternoon at the drug store and trade cards and play pool. The man that run the drug store would always have a game on the radio on Saturdays. In those days I was a Yankee fan then in 1971 my Grandad took me to a game in Kansas City and I became a Royals fan and have been ever since.

Last edited:
I have twin younger brothers, and every year for their birthday we'd get a box of cards to split three way (yeah, I know -- how did I manage to weasal my way in on their birthday present?) :)

I remember ripping open packs with them and my dad sitting at the table and just looking for the has-been and never-will-be Indians of the day -- Cory Snyder, Chris James, Andy Allanson, Beau Allred--as well as other All-Stars.

Now, that I have a son of my own, I've tried to put together a complete Topps base set (Series 1, Series 2, Update)together for him each year until he's old enough to help me and we can sit at the table and rip packs looking for has-been and never-will-be Indians like Matt LaPorta and Jason Donald. I suppose those memories are why I've gone back and I'm working like crazy to finish up those sets from when I was a kid -- 86-94 Topps, Fleer, Donruss, and Score -- even though the sets themselves aren't worth the cardboard they're printed on.

Great questions! Thanks!
Jeremy

I got lucky. Sometime late 80's/early 90's my dad and I discussed buying bricks (100 cards) from Topps of some of the stars and the hottest up and comers. Fortunately we came to the conclusion that if they would sell like that to us, nobodies, then probably the big boys were doing the same thing and the cards would likely be next to worthless in the future if for no other reason than overproduction and massive hordes of all the hot cards.

In the late 80's and 90's i was mostly a hockey collector-At the time i had a full time job at a home improvement center but on my days off i worked part time at a hobby shop the guy didn't pay in cash but $7 hr in product and the end of the day he would say ok you worked 4 hours so thats $28 i owe you..so i would pick out $28 worth of packs and i must have busted what seemed to be a million packs/boxes of 90-91 Score Hockey looking for ERIC LINDROS and would bust some baseball packs here and there looking for the Jeffries RC and Brien Taylor.

Best,
David

ahh yes, the days of 50 cent of less wax packs! I remember me and two of my best friends, had a contest over our time in Jr. High to see how many cards of our favorite player we could get. Mine was Jose Canseco, Dave's was Wally Joyner, and Jeremy had Rickey Henderson. Well, going by 1989 prices I think you could figure out who won. Jer could get Hendu for a quarter apiece or less (after the rookie card) while me and Dave were lucky to get one under 50 cents. I think at last count he had about 400 Hendersons. :eek:

1988 Topps: Ellis Burks and Matt Nokes :eek:

I think I have a binder still kicking around with over 100 of each in old brittle pages. The cards probably wouldn't come out whole if i tried to take them out.

Great topic,
Marvin

Going to visit my Grandparents in Schoharie, NY and walking down to Badgley's Drug Store with my friend Lee to buy some packs of 1970 Topps.

Still have those cards too.

Shep

I remember begging all summer for 'jobs' to do around the house so that I could walk down to the community store and buy as many packs as I could. The store is still there but sadly they quit selling cards about 15 yrs ago.