Been in the hobby to long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don't forget Ben McDonald, Jerome Walton, Dwight Smith, Todd Zeile, Sandy Alomar, Jr., 1990 Score Bo Jacksons, 1992 Donruss Diamond Kings, or 1992 Fleer Rookie Sensations. In football, I remember chasing the ProSet cards of Santa Claus, Payne Stewart, and the commissioner (was it Rozelle or Tagliabue?) In basketball, it was fun:rolleyes: trading away those high priced Shaq rookies for that Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner kid. He was a "can't miss."

Good stuff. Good memories.......

Tim

remember when these guys were the man, kevin mitchell, matt williams, walt weiss, gregg jeffries, ron gant, steve avery, kevin maas, ricky jordan,mike greenwell, ellis burks, sam horn, dante bichette, joey myers, bo jackson, mark prior, ben mcdonald, brien taylor,cory snyder,mark prior, dave stewart, danny tartabull, ruben sierra, matt nokes, sandy alomar jr, marquis grissom, george bell, vince coleman, dave justice, john rocker, bradey anderson, mickey tettleton, jeff conine , doug drabek, bobby thigpen.etc, etc......of time shave changed!

One of the best trades if not the best was 12 Gregg Jeffries 88 Donruss
for a complete set of 85 Donruss. I made this trade at a card show
that I was set up at. Another one of the dealers said he couldn't get
enough of the Jeffries cards. He said he was selling them at $5. So
I made the trade.

The ironic thing was he come back to my table a little later and
said that somebody had stolen the cards. So he was out an
85 Donruss set and all of the Jeffries.

My earliest memories of collecting was going down to the "Busy Bee", our local candy store, back in the mid-50s (I know, I'm dating myself!). We used to get one card in a penny pack, and I think it was 6 in a nickel pack, each with a large slab of gum per pack. We would sit on the bench in front of the store, open the packs, gripe about getting checklists and throw them in the trashcan and I recall balling up and throwing the wrappers at each other. I collected a lot with my friend Ron Parker and had a bunch of cards thru the early 60s. Came back from 4 years in the Navy in 1969 to find that my cards ended up on the dump! Started again with my two sons about 1978, building sets through 1990 or so with them. On my own now; just can't grow up, I guess - I still enjoy collecting!

Started my collection in 1969. On snow days I had a snow shoveling route and when I was finished went to the corner store and bought as many packs as I could. I still have my sets from back then, my favorite being 1971...though I remember needing one card to finish and never could find it in a pack. Can't even remember who it was now. Love the current releases, though everything having a numbered parallel is becoming a little much...

Most of my paper route and lawn mowing money was spent at the corner store on baseball cards in my youth. Only wanted the Mets, of course, and was always steamed when a pack didn't have at least 1 Met. I recall a horrible day in '75 when I got home with 20 fresh new packs ready to be busted and finding out that there were 20 cards of the same guy in those packs and almost no Mets. I remember sitting on the carpet, with all 20 of this guys cards laid out. And I never heard of this guy! So me & my friend Mark used those 20 cards of this no-name guy in the best way possible- to make motorcycle noises in the spokes of our bikes.
Wonder whatever became of that guy? Name was george brett. All I know is he wasnt a Met.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online