How much more would you par for a card numbered 1/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJCloutier

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I was thinking about this today when I woke up strangely. How much more would I pay for a card numbered 1/9 or numbered 1/ anything opposed to a card numbered 5/9 or anything else not numbered 1/. With that being said I know people collect the same thing but jersey number. So on average HOW MUCH more would you? I'm assuming everyone here would rather obtain the first card ever produced but how much is it worth to you? For me realistically if I could get the autograph for $15 online and it was numbered 1/ I would probably go up to $22. So maybe $7 more but it depends on the player. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

I would not pay a premium for a card to be 1 of a certain number. I would however pay more for a numbered card rather than a non numbered card only if they were for my PC & not for trade bait.

It would not matter to me that the card was 1/ if I like the player/card it would be enough that it were numbered anything, so I wouldn't pay more for a 1/....

The number has no impact on my decision to purchase or not. Even the jersey numbered cards do not do anything for me because there are "x" number of other cards just like it out there. The only time I would pay more than market value is if it is a very low numbered cards that never shows up and I need it for one of my GU or auto sets, but even then I don't get ridiculous.

Dewayne

There are collectors who chase first and last serial numbers, but I don't think they are popular as one might think. people like to hype them as sellers, but in the end, the buyers are few.

My gut reaction is to say I wouldn't pay any extra. But if I were collecting such cards, I would pay a little more. Maybe 10% more.

We all assume, unless someone knows for sure, that the cards and made and serialized in order. Who is to say that the cards aren't made together, maybe even on a single sheet and then cut and serialized later, essentially making them all made "first", with the serial number itself designating the card as #1 only.

We all assume, unless someone knows for sure, that the cards and made and serialized in order. Who is to say that the cards aren't made together, maybe even on a single sheet and then cut and serialized later, essentially making them all made "first", with the serial number itself designating the card as #1 only.

My understanding is that the numbering and any of the silver/gold/other highlights on a card all occur afterwards via a separate embossing/printing process.
Using 2014 Bowman, the "500" or so blue versions of the base cards are all printed and then sent through the numbering process. I say "or so" because they print extras to ensure that no errors occur then once the "500" are confirmed they destroy the rest (or are supposed to, but they've made their way out before - Fleer & Pacific).

People think it was the "first signature"... nonsense.