Otto Graham

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

james

Prospect
Hey all, I have always wondered why Topps did not have Otto Graham in their 1956 Football set, when Graham's final year in the NFL was the 1955 Season? Thanks.

One theory...

Someone may have decided he wasn't needed because he had retired. Often the final card of players is not made, even if they played part of the previous season. I'm guessing Topps wanted active players that kids would be more apt to want to chase after, not retired guys.

Great article. Thanks for sharing. If Topps didn't have the NFL contract, why then were all the other players in their 1956 FB set except for Otto Graham I wonder?

I could be wrong, but I think that Topps had individual player contracts back in those days. Not like today where they sign a contract with the entire player's association or whatever. I'm sure a more knowledgeable member could confirm or blow this theory out of the water! If that is the case, maybe they just decided not to include him for whatever reason. It happened several times in baseball.