Questions to consider when starting a set collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyGiantFan56

Prospect
Hey all - over the past few days of going through my collection
and surfing the boards here, I thought i'd ask what are some
of the questions you guys tend to ask yourself in deciding
whether a set is worth collecting?

Specifically, I've been interested in 2000 Topps baseball
and 2000 UD Victory baseball. Both sets I have a bunch of cards
autographed from past TTM returns. I'd specifically like to focus
on first collecting the cards and then getting them autographed.

I think the most important concerns would include: time, money
(setting a budget for a project) and just how important would be.

Thanks and happy collecting,
Mike

I would consider if the set has any SP's in it. How many and how hard are they going to be to track down? Also, I would want a nice card surface for autographs so they look nice and don't smear.

2000 Topps has 478 cards and 2000 UD Victory i'm unable to locate a number.

2000 Topps is actually 519 cards if you wanted to do the full set, in the upper numbers some cards have different variations--

2000 Topps #475A K.Griffey Jr. MM 350th HR - $0.75 $2.00
2000 Topps #475B K.Griffey Jr. MM 1997 MVP - $0.75 $2.00
2000 Topps #475C K.Griffey Jr. MM HR Dad - $0.75 $2.00
2000 Topps #475D K.Griffey Jr. MM 1992 AS MVP - $0.75 $2.00
2000 Topps #475E K.Griffey Jr. MM 50 HR 1997 - $0.75 $2.00

2000 UD Victory is a 440 set--466 if you did the USA cards which were released in later versions.

Hey all - over the past few days of going through my collection
and surfing the boards here, I thought i'd ask what are some
of the questions you guys tend to ask yourself in deciding
whether a set is worth collecting?

Specifically, I've been interested in 2000 Topps baseball
and 2000 UD Victory baseball. Both sets I have a bunch of cards
autographed from past TTM returns. I'd specifically like to focus
on first collecting the cards and then getting them autographed.

I think the most important concerns would include: time, money
(setting a budget for a project) and just how important would be.

Thanks and happy collecting,
Mike

For me it's all about cost effectiveness. I'm not much into trading for sets I can buy for about the same price as a blaster or two. I'm fortunate to live where I do, we have access to some good shops, shows, and of course, the internet. It just isn't worth my time or effort to assemble a newer or "overproduction years" base level set unless I'm very close already.

Here is a link to an auction I bought recently:
misc near sets

I figure shipping is about $15 on a large flat rate box, so I paid $25 for the contents. 9 box sets I valued at $1 each, means $16 for the 1985-1988 Topps Near sets. I have a handful of McGwires already, so that'll be done when I get it, I've got a few 800 counts of 1986 Topps singles and a few copy paper boxes full of 1988 Topps singles I haven't looked at since 1990 or so, so those sets are pretty much done too, I'm into those for $4 each. Unless you can finish the set in a single trade, maybe 2, I'd likely spend more to complete those sets trading than I did buying them. Same with the sets you are looking at, if you need 8 or 9 trades, each with $1-2 postage to complete a set you can buy for $15 delivered, the math doesn't work for me.

I have about 10 or so of each autographed already. I would be spending time to locate the additional cards (no where near a complete set on either.)

Possibly it would be better to consider a set that would be prior to the "overproduction years"?

Of course, it's all about personal preference. I'm trying to think of a project that would hold some value for the time and money put into it and also would appeal to my aesthetic tastes.

I have about 10 or so of each autographed already. I would be spending time to locate the additional cards (no where near a complete set on either.)

Possibly it would be better to consider a set that would be prior to the "overproduction years"?

Of course, it's all about personal preference. I'm trying to think of a project that would hold some value for the time and money put into it and also would appeal to my aesthetic tastes.

or just buy the sets and go from there

2000 UD Victory $14.99

2000 Topps Factory $29.99

If you are going to be starting almost from scratch, I'm not saying don't do those sets, just make a guess what your postage costs and time is going to be, if you're going to be weeks or months and $12+ in postage to do the trades to finish a set you can buy delivered for $15, is it worth it to you to save that $3 and add another 1-2 months to your time?

As far as holding value, the value is almost all sentimental, so it is whatever it is worth to YOU. Any recent set TTM has a very limited market as far as resell value. Limited demand for the commons, most buyers aren't going to pay much for the superstars if they aren't authenticated. I've picked up non certifieds of Thome, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Alomar, Thomas, Nomo, Pete Rose, George Brett, Bert Blyleven, Kaat for anywhere from $1-$12, and if I'm getting superstars/HOF caliber players for those prices, how much should I pay for Denny Hocking, Dana Keicker, Matt Walbeck, and Jacque Jones?

I normally only collect sets or inserts sets that I like....Your set could have you tied down for years trying finish it.....I have one that I'm currently working on.... 2003 timeless treasures gold serial to only 10......only 100 players in the set and I'm about 26 short of my goal.....working on it for about 8 years! The Bench YSL project 6,742 cards is almost finish.....but its taken over 3 years and countless individuals trying to finish it! It can drain your resources and your patience....and in some cases drive you out of the hobby........Luckly....I'm in it for the friendships and fun! Best regards, David

David, of course, I enjoy the friendships and fun, too.

I've got lots of stuff I wouldn't even attempt collecting the entire set.

1988, 1989, 2002 Topps baseball all look fantastic signed as well.