Sweet Spot Auto Fading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wow, UD really hooked you up! Congrats! :eek: :eek: :D :D

This was worth the wait! I sent in $35-$40 BV (junk, in the big picture - see message above) and received...

Holy %@^$, Batman!....

Griffey-Youkilis.jpg

I guess I got an upgrade, no?

:) :eek: :) :eek: :p

Griffey $80 - NFT (my first Griffey AUTO)
Youkilis $25 - who wants it? (I would have been happy with just this one!)

I guess it's a matter of timing...

Cheers,

Michael

Congrats! That's a cool story! I've been checking out the thread since you created it and I'm glad you got something nice in return.

I'm interested in the Youk. Please check my bucket.

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
I emailed them because it had been so long and they said they were having a hard time replacing such a high book value! It was only 50 bucks! I gave my Lincecum Sweet Spot to my LCS to have them replace it and make sure I get something decent from the representative..

Chris

ive seen this problem with fading coming for years, thats why i am so glad i sold all of mine on ebay years ago when i started to notice a very slight fading on my autos. i think on ever major league baseballs, the ink starts to fade after years. what im seeing now with some actually baseball cards is the ink(used sharpie) is staring to bleed into the card after a few years.

what im seeing now with some actually baseball cards is the ink(used sharpie) is staring to bleed into the card after a few years.

Does this mean that sticker autos might actually be the way to go as opposed to on-card autos? Cardboard seems like it would absorb ink more than a plastic-based sticker.

I think that the on-card type is the best. I have also seen sticker types fade, although normally due to sun/lighting damage. The only Sweet Spots that I have seen issues with is from 2007 and only the ones that are signed with marker. If they were signed in ink pen, or with a paint pen, I have seen no problems. I think that they used a synthetic material with the 2007 ball autos and most of them faded. I sent in around fifty Sweet Spots, with some good autos, to Upper Deck, but have not got a package back from them yet. I was told that they would not return auto for auto, but that they would basically calculate the BV's of the cards and send me 10-12 really good ones to make up for the autos that I sent in. I am hoping for some really nice cards.

Does this mean that sticker autos might actually be the way to go as opposed to on-card autos? Cardboard seems like it would absorb ink more than a plastic-based sticker.

That's an interesting point. However, cardboard doesn't seem to absorb ink too much because we've all seen autos on ebay that were signed 50 years ago and still look great. I'm sure both types (on card and sticker) would be fine for graphing and holding a signature. :D :D

Yeah, good luck! I'm excited to see what they send you! :D :D

I think that the on-card type is the best. I have also seen sticker types fade, although normally due to sun/lighting damage. The only Sweet Spots that I have seen issues with is from 2007 and only the ones that are signed with marker. If they were signed in ink pen, or with a paint pen, I have seen no problems. I think that they used a synthetic material with the 2007 ball autos and most of them faded. I sent in around fifty Sweet Spots, with some good autos, to Upper Deck, but have not got a package back from them yet. I was told that they would not return auto for auto, but that they would basically calculate the BV's of the cards and send me 10-12 really good ones to make up for the autos that I sent in. I am hoping for some really nice cards.

I spoke with a rep this evening. They contacted me to let me know that they were working on my claim and were interested to know what I was interested in. Thought that was kinda nice. Sounded like it might be other sports, rather than just baseball, but they threw out some big names as options in the other sports.

Barry Urbanek - PogoCards

I have two of the Sheffield autographs from like 06... Idk what it's called off the top of my head but it's a piece of a glove /20 and autographed. Both are fading, BV is like 120 on it.

You might as well send it in. They seem to give good value, but not necessarily the same player.

I have two of the Sheffield autographs from like 06... Idk what it's called off the top of my head but it's a piece of a glove /20 and autographed. Both are fading, BV is like 120 on it.

That's nice of them. Wow, hopefully they'll hook you up with some nice stuff! :eek: :eek: :D :D

I spoke with a rep this evening. They contacted me to let me know that they were working on my claim and were interested to know what I was interested in. Thought that was kinda nice. Sounded like it might be other sports, rather than just baseball, but they threw out some big names as options in the other sports.

Barry Urbanek - PogoCards

You might as well send it in. They seem to give good value, but not necessarily the same player.

I'd rather have two nice low numbered Sheffields with somewhat fading autos then of some no name player :) But it's nice they'll attempt to make it right, I guess.

I see my 2007 swet spot signiture classic signiture is really faded. It was signed in some kind of gold ink too.....

To both of you guys- UD has been good so far with replacing big names with big names as far as the Sweet Spot Autos go. Everyone I've seen has gotten something of good value, although it might not be the same player, but rather a player of the same caliber.