T206 & Sportcard Guaranty Grading.....Good/Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeyred

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I am starting a T206 Hall of Fame set (I have 5 now). I just love the history and looks of this set. There are 36 players in the HOF from that set. This would include a total 76 HOF’er cards if you include all the variations. My plan is to just collect one card (36) of each HOF’er.

I would like to collect each card as a Graded Card and I have decided I like the style of Sportcard Guaranty. I plan on collecting the set with cards graded at a grade of 30 or 40, or perhaps higher. I realize that due to limited funds (unless I hit the Lotto…..lol) this may take as long as 5 to10 years. I’ll buy a couple a year.

Since I will be investing both a lot of time and money over the years…..MY QUESTION IS:

How do you feel about the company Sportcard Guaranty? Is there grading reliable and consistent? Would you say there performance is as good as or better than PSA? Please feel free to make any comments that may help me in my endeavor.

THANKS in advance for your response…..Paul

McGinnity.jpg

Last edited:
SGC is one of the 3 reliable grading companies along with PSA and BGS. They are especially widely used for older stuff like the T206's you are looking for. I personally would say they are as reliable as PSA when it comes to stuff like this. From my experience most pre-war stuff is either PSA or SGC, with BGS mainly being used for modern cards. Somebody with more specialized knowledge of T206's may be able to tell you if one company's stuff sells a little higher or lower given the same grade.

Their holders look pretty snazzy with T206's, I like the black border.
Richard

I have no complaints with them. I have a few cards they have graded and on the whole say their standards are similar to PSA.

Dewayne

Anybody else have an opinion on Sportcard Guaranty Grading (SCG)? Or any other Card Grading company (because I may buy from another Card Grading Co.)

THANKS for your input…..

Dilferule
Greyminis
chaplain11
and
David K.

Paul

SGC is one of the 3 reliable grading companies along with PSA and BGS. They are especially widely used for older stuff like the T206's you are looking for. I personally would say they are as reliable as PSA when it comes to stuff like this. From my experience most pre-war stuff is either PSA or SGC, with BGS mainly being used for modern cards. Somebody with more specialized knowledge of T206's may be able to tell you if one company's stuff sells a little higher or lower given the same grade.

Their holders look pretty snazzy with T206's, I like the black border.
Richard

I don't know about t206's but all the graded cards I've watched, including some 30's stuff, scg typically sells a bit lower than psa. Like if a psa 4 gets $40, a scg 50 (4) might get $33-35.

Hi Paul

Let me start by saying...Nice McGinnity!

As far as SGC, I have dealt with them and in my opinion they are a reliable & accurate grading company. I am a T206 collector of limited funds myself and started building this set about 5 years ago. Now I'm not a big submitter to grading companies (around 40 cards to SGC in 5 years), but when I did deal with SGC, their customer service was excellent.

Like other board members have said, T206s graded by PSA due tend to sell a little higher than T206s graded by SGC. I can't explain this, but I tend believe, from my experience, that PSA is a little more lenient in their grading when it comes to corners, creases and paperloss. I buy T206s for my set with the old adage of "Buy the card, not the grade". For me, I would rather buy a T206 graded a SGC 30 with rounded corners & no creases, than a PSA 4 with sharper corners and a crease. I have no problem with creases, but if I'm going to pay a premium for a PSA 4, I would want it to be crease free. I guess it all comes down to personal preferences though.

If I may offer you some advice, cross the big boys off your checklist first. By that I mean, get the Cobb, Young, Johnson and Speaker RC out of the way first. That way if you change your mind about finishing your endeavor, you can always resell them and these 4 player's cards always hold their value.

While I got you here, you said that you love the history of this set. You may want to check out a new website that went live a few weeks ago. Its called T206resource.com and it has a lot of information and touches base on about every aspect of this set.

Good luck with your T206 HOFer collecting and be careful, T206 collecting is very addictive!

Hope my post helped.

Jantz

I asked a collector friend who is a big grading guy and he said SGC is real good but some people get confused about the grading scale they use, especially in relation to other grading company scales. He seems to think that to collectors a PSA 5 is easy to understand but a SGC 50 isn't the same. Maybe thats why they sell lower? I don't know, I rarely deal with graded stuff..

Good luck with your T206 HOFer collecting and be careful, T206 collecting is very addictive!

Hope my post helped.

Jantz

Hey Jantz, (Powerhitter)

You are spot on.....collecting the T206 is addicting. I do collect different baseball sets, but the T206 set is special.

Your right getting the Cobb, Young, Johnson and Speaker RC first would be the best investment. I had one collector tell me I should get these at a higher grade (SCG 50 or PSA 5) because they will only increase in value. That said she then showed me a Cobb (PSA 5) she would let me have for $1,600. I may have to lower my expectations (maybe a poor quality card) on these higher end cards. We’ll see, because when I held that Cobb, I had to resist an impulse buy (I do have a daughter in college…..LoL).

Thanks for the link to the T206 site. I’ll check it out!

BoomerSooner & mintman2

Thanks for the input! All this advice helps in making my decision of just how to go about collecting this most awesome set.

Paul