Thinking about selling the banks collection.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Its true im thinking about selling the Ernie banks collection.

Its something ive tossed around in my mind for a bit and im starting to lean towards selling it but im still not 100 percent sure. So im kind of looking for input from memebers. im not sure what input im really looking for but usually i get good responses from members when i ask on here so ill give it a shot.

I just dont look at it much. Its not really displayed anywhere its away in a drawer and no one ever sees it. its cool to have but when i look at sometimes all i can see is 1000 dollars i could use on something else. i just dont get the joy i used to out of it. im looking into taking a vacation to vegas this summer and selling the collection could pay for that. thats not why i would sell the collection but its something i could do with the money

but then on the other hand it is cool once in awhile to buy some new stuff to add to the collection and it gets me fired up about it for a little while.

so idk what im looking for lol but im just looking for some input i guess.

i think what ill do for now is put it on ebay as a lot with a really high BIN and take offers and see what happens.

Its true im thinking about selling the Ernie banks collection.

Its something ive tossed around in my mind for a bit and im starting to lean towards selling it but im still not 100 percent sure. So im kind of looking for input from memebers. im not sure what input im really looking for but usually i get good responses from members when i ask on here so ill give it a shot.

I just dont look at it much. Its not really displayed anywhere its away in a drawer and no one ever sees it. its cool to have but when i look at sometimes all i can see is 1000 dollars i could use on something else. i just dont get the joy i used to out of it. im looking into taking a vacation to vegas this summer and selling the collection could pay for that. thats not why i would sell the collection but its something i could do with the money

but then on the other hand it is cool once in awhile to buy some new stuff to add to the collection and it gets me fired up about it for a little while.

so idk what im looking for lol but im just looking for some input i guess.

i think what ill do for now is put it on ebay as a lot with a really high BIN and take offers and see what happens.

Without knowing what's in it, seeing it, etc. It's tough to give advice. I personally tend to avoid doing the sell as a lot thing just because unless someone is just starting a Banks collection, they'd likely be buying it as a few key pieces and the rest is trade fodder or stat builder, and most folks won't bid up a bunch of stuff they don't need. The key pieces would likely do better as singles vs "3 pieces I'm looking for and 57 cards I already have one or more of" if it's high grade vintage, it might be tough to replace later if you DO have second thoughts, at least for what you paid for it now...newer inserts, autos, parallels, I normally wouldn't worry too much about those aside from maybe the /10, /5, or /1 type stuff. If you're not that into it, the money is always nice, but it's such a buyers market for most things, unless it's ultra rare or truly high grade vintage, you could easily take a bath selling it.

Without knowing what's in it, seeing it, etc. It's tough to give advice. I personally tend to avoid doing the sell as a lot thing just because unless someone is just starting a Banks collection, they'd likely be buying it as a few key pieces and the rest is trade fodder or stat builder, and most folks won't bid up a bunch of stuff they don't need. The key pieces would likely do better as singles vs "3 pieces I'm looking for and 57 cards I already have one or more of" if it's high grade vintage, it might be tough to replace later if you DO have second thoughts, at least for what you paid for it now...newer inserts, autos, parallels, I normally wouldn't worry too much about those aside from maybe the /10, /5, or /1 type stuff. If you're not that into it, the money is always nice, but it's such a buyers market for most things, unless it's ultra rare or truly high grade vintage, you could easily take a bath selling it.

if i truly decide to sell it i wouldnt put it as a lot i would list everything individually and let them go. the lot thing is just while im making up my mind. im going to put it up with a 2-3k BIN which is way high and take offers. if i truly decide to sell i will list them all individually.

If you are even considering selling a "prized" collection and you don't need the money for essentials, then you probably should sell it. If the passion isn't there, why continue? You are young, so you're probably not sold on the whole collecting thing completely anyway and you have been doing a lot of reselling. That tells me you are more interested in trying to profit from the hobby or you enjoy the gambling aspect (pending trip to Vegas may confirm this hunch). You've got a life to live and new things to discover. People go through phases. I lost interest after graduating HS and joining the Navy, a 10 year stretch of collecting halted, for almost 5 years. A spark got me back and have not looked back since and it's going on nearly 20 years since the break.

I would not consider selling my collection at this point in my life unless I absolutely needed the money. I'm doing OK financially for now and even the thought of selling is a nightmare. I have much, much more time and money than you wrapped up into my collection as well, making a decision like that much harder to make for someone like me. I still have the passion for it and (hopefully) many years to work on and enjoy the collection and a chance that my sons may want to continue with it. Otherwise, I can pass it along for them to sell or I can sell it later when I have lost interest.

Valediction hit the major points from a collecting standpoint as well. Just about everything is easily replaceable except for the very low serial numbered stuff and the super rare oddballs. Everything else is out there in enough quantity, even high grade vintage, although it may cost you much more later to replace.

If you are even considering selling a "prized" collection and you don't need the money for essentials, then you probably should sell it. If the passion isn't there, why continue? You are young, so you're probably not sold on the whole collecting thing completely anyway and you have been doing a lot of reselling. That tells me you are more interested in trying to profit from the hobby or you enjoy the gambling aspect (pending trip to Vegas may confirm this hunch). You've got a life to live and new things to discover. People go through phases. I lost interest after graduating HS and joining the Navy, a 10 year stretch of collecting halted, for almost 5 years. A spark got me back and have not looked back since and it's going on nearly 20 years since the break.

your pretty much right with the first part. I enjoy collecting if its something i get joy out of . Ive been collecting since i was a little kid. i stopped around age 17 until age 21. the price of postage as well as other factors have led to my limited interest in trading so reselling is sort of my way to stay close to the hobby while also make some money on the side.

I just want to make sure i dont regret the desicion. When you mention how I should sell if im considering it and dont need money, that works in my favor both ways as well. I dont need the money so i can sit back and take my time making up my mind.

I appreciate the input for sure it definatly helps.

your right about me being a gambler to ;)