Uncanceled Postage!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metsman1986

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Received a few packages lately with stamps instead of the metered type postage and they haven't been canceled................Has anyone else been getting trades with free money? I've been sending with 2 one dollar stamps instead of the dispensed postage at the APC.................Just curious!

Mike

I have had a few trades come in without the postage marked, I don't mind- its free postage for me.
Although, last week I got a package with no postage on it at all, no stamps- or PO stickers- I could not believe it. Someone in the PO is slacking.

The post office would save a ton of money by reducing their receipt length. I mailed one package the other day, and the receipt was over a foot long. That's ridiculous.

I have received packages where the PO didn't cancel the postage and the trader just placed labels over the names and used it again. This goes for the APC labels, too...it's obvious when the postage isn't from their zip code!!

My opinion is that you shouldn't "recycle" the postage. It probably doesn't get cancelled because the post office trusts people to use the right postage and misses a few on the cancellation for the sake of "speed"...which we all complain they have a lack of. If we all paid the right amount, they wouldn't be broke.

Back in the old days (five or four years ago)...I use to do about 100 trades in one month...once in a blue moon....I would run into uncanceled postage! Best regards, David

Whenever I receive a package with uncancelled stamps on it, I re-use it to send free cards. This creates a karmic balance :).

Although nearly impossible to tell if they were not cancelled, reusing stamps that were actually used (mailed, but not cancelled) is illegal. I'm guessing it is done fairly frequently though, if the PO is missing cancellations.

That is opposed to sticking a stamp on an envelope and then having to remove it or re-label the envelope, where the stamp was never used as payment for mailing the letter.

Had this happen to me yesterday:

Went to mail a package. There were 4 stamps on it that were used before. They were all marked out in black magic marker with one line through them. I did not do this, the PO must have done it before the package was delivered to me a few weeks ago.

Well the postmaster was very rude and asked me why are those stamps marked out. In which I responded to her, I recycle envelopes b/c I dont have a lot of money to go out and buy new ones all the time. I don't understand what the big deal was over these stamps being marked out when the postage I was getting was going over these stamps and was a printed stamp from their machine.

I further asked her if that was an issue and she said no but when on to say you can't recycle stamps. I wanted to say so bad, Duh! I know. But I just paid my postage and left.

I was out of town yesterday and found a PO to mail this package. I have never had this happen to me at my local PO. I felt like, even though I did nothing wrong, she was trying to pin something down on me.

Oh well, won't be going back to her.

Had this happen to me yesterday:

Went to mail a package. There were 4 stamps on it that were used before. They were all marked out in black magic marker with one line through them. I did not do this, the PO must have done it before the package was delivered to me a few weeks ago.

Well the postmaster was very rude and asked me why are those stamps marked out. In which I responded to her, I recycle envelopes b/c I dont have a lot of money to go out and buy new ones all the time. I don't understand what the big deal was over these stamps being marked out when the postage I was getting was going over these stamps and was a printed stamp from their machine.

I further asked her if that was an issue and she said no but when on to say you can't recycle stamps. I wanted to say so bad, Duh! I know. But I just paid my postage and left.

I was out of town yesterday and found a PO to mail this package. I have never had this happen to me at my local PO. I felt like, even though I did nothing wrong, she was trying to pin something down on me.

Oh well, won't be going back to her.

So much for the PO trusting you, eh? I always get advice on mailing procedures, just smile and nod your head, works every time............

Whenever I receive a package with uncancelled stamps on it, I re-use it to send free cards. This creates a karmic balance :).

I have to agree with this one..I think it is a simple case of " you win some, you loose some". Whats ridiculous is to think this is the root of why they are going bankrupt, really?

Hand Sorted Mail

Often times the postage goes uncanceled due to the thick envalopes having to be hand sorted as they don't go through the normal sorting machine process. My neighbor is a carrier and I had tried to use uncanceled stamps once and it was redeliverd to me and my he stated that he has not ever seen this before. I wasn't going to tell him that I was trying to pass off uncanceled postage. I also regularly trade cards with the our local post office manager. He suggested using pay-pal to pay for postage under their multi-order shiping to avoid the overages and discount on tracking. Overall, we end up paying for it all in the long run by them hiking up the cost of stamps nearly every year.

Often times the postage goes uncanceled due to the thick envalopes having to be hand sorted as they don't go through the normal sorting machine process. My neighbor is a carrier and I had tried to use uncanceled stamps once and it was redeliverd to me and my he stated that he has not ever seen this before. I wasn't going to tell him that I was trying to pass off uncanceled postage. I also regularly trade cards with the our local post office manager. He suggested using pay-pal to pay for postage under their multi-order shiping to avoid the overages and discount on tracking. Overall, we end up paying for it all in the long run by them hiking up the cost of stamps nearly every year.

I will have to try this method...................Not the uncanceled way, but the PP multi order shipping.................Thanks..............Mike

I use the Multi-Order 99.9% of the time - it costs $1.64 for First Class Mail (up to 3 oz) and includes Delivery Confirmation. And they offer free pick up as well if you want to use it - I try to make the trip myself usually so I know they received the packages with no problem.

I will have to try this method...................Not the uncanceled way, but the PP multi order shipping.................Thanks..............Mike

I use the Multi-Order 99.9% of the time - it costs $1.64 for First Class Mail (up to 3 oz) and includes Delivery Confirmation. And they offer free pick up as well if you want to use it - I try to make the trip myself usually so I know they received the packages with no problem.

That would save me $.31 each trade plus DC, pretty sweet..................I'd probably drop it off too, since I get my mail at a PO box..................

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Latest posts and bumps