Where do you store your cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

i built 2 bench units (no pun intended) that are about 2.5' high x 2' deep x 4' long. just plain old pine from menards. they each have two shelves underneath and a solid plywood top. thinking of putting felt, in case i decide to leave cards lay out on them instead of my computer desk, lol

each shelf will hold about 40 1500 ct boxes. i have one unit full of those, the other one i have shoeboxes with my personal collections plus a few more monsters etc...

i think i did a pretty good job making them, they are actually very light, until the cards get loaded, lol

i'll get pics when i get my new computer set up.

oh, and i also have a closet full of misc memorabilia, magazines, plates etc...
eventually plan on building a shelving unit for jordan magazines.

paul

i built 2 bench units (no pun intended) that are about 2.5' high x 2' deep x 4' long. just plain old pine from menards. they each have two shelves underneath and a solid plywood top. thinking of putting felt, in case i decide to leave cards lay out on them instead of my computer desk, lol

each shelf will hold about 40 1500 ct boxes. i have one unit full of those, the other one i have shoeboxes with my personal collections plus a few more monsters etc...

i think i did a pretty good job making them, they are actually very light, until the cards get loaded, lol

i'll get pics when i get my new computer set up.

oh, and i also have a closet full of misc memorabilia, magazines, plates etc...
eventually plan on building a shelving unit for jordan magazines.

paul

Paul

Would love to see pics of it when you get them up, sounds very nice.

Thanks,
Dennis

I've got all my Yankees in binders (about 70-80) and in real wood bookcases. That particle board junk doesn't hold up to cards in binders. I get them for about $150 at an unfurnished furniture place here in NYC and they hold about 30-35 full binders each. My trade bait is in 5000 count boxes.

Mostly 3200 and 5000 count boxes. I have sets stored with each card in penny sleeve and in two piece 800 ct boxes that fit 12 into card houses. Sounds organized but believe me i'm the world's worst about organizing cards i think.

Trying to find some boxes that will hold cards in toploaders. I have several sets that my daughter and i are doing and i want to store them with the cards in toploaders and still fit into boxes. So if anybody knows of somewhere i can check into them plmk.

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi guys, great topic!!

I sometimes fabricate my own boxes, so the dimensions can be maniputated to allow for cards in top loaders, etc. to be placed sideways. It doesn't get any cheaper than using any decent sized cardboard box, and using a normal card box as a template, cutting out your own...With a good exacto knife, this can be done in minutes... And yes, the flaps to fold in, as normal. Everyone knows how expensive boxes are, particularly if you require having them shipped.

Also, the lid of a copy-paper box makes a nice imitation monster box, though you might have to create dividers for it, and it wont have a cover. I like them more so for organizing cards before putting them in storage.

Here's a pic of a box I made in 10 minutes, for the purpose of storing top-loaders...
cardbox.jpg

Hope this gives others some ideas as well!!! You guys have already given me some great ideas...I can learn a little about how to organize!! LOL

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to All,
Pete

mainly in binders in bookcases for my pc.decent traders in penny sleeves/toploaders in 3200 ct boxes.commons/base god knows what on pallet in climate controlled basement.

The picture has a bit of glare, but this is most of my collection:

collection.jpg

On the top shelves I've got complete/partial sets along with actual shoeboxes (not the "shoebox" storage boxes) containing supplies as well as odd-sized stuff like graded cards and jumbo cards. Oh and also one actual pair of GU shoes, just so they can be used for their intended purpose.

On the left there's 4 shoeboxes (card shoeboxes this time) containing lower-end inserts and nicer toploaded cards like autos, patches, and super low-numbered stuff like plates from my baseball collection. Cheaper GU/autos and tough but not super tough inserts fill 8-10 binders in the black drawers to the left. Below my PC stuff are 3 3200-count boxes containing base and <$10 inserts for trade (all inserts penny-sleeved) in alphabetical order. Then there's a shoebox containing RC's for trade and another one full of toploaded GU, autos, and $10+ inserts for trade.

Below that row there are 9 3200-count boxes holding base and really low-end inserts of baseball players that I think are "good" but the cards are so cheap I don't put them on my trade site. There's another 5 of those for football. All alphabetical order. This spills into the bottom row on the right side, which also has shoeboxes holding some of my football collection (not seen because of the giant sorting mess on the floor). The second row on the right has 6 3200-count boxes containing base and low-end inserts of guys that have played for the A's at one time or another. I have another 1-2 boxes that need to be sorted in, which explains part of the mess. The next row up has 2 more big boxes of football cards for trade along with a couple of binders, one of which holds my partial 1988 Topps autographed set (about half done at this point).

My dirt commons are in 3200-count boxes and various other boxes in the closet.

My 850+ video game collection is way easier to organize, it just goes on 2 gigantic CD/DVD storage shelving units against the wall.

Richard

My goal is to do something like this and sort everything I have by team. I have most of my stuff in binders now and it's so unorginized...it'll be much easier to find cards for autos if I have them done by team.

I guess I never did tell how I stored my collection

3 Monster boxes, one for each sport (Baseball/Football/Basketball)

Baseball has about 4,000, Football has about 3,500 and basketball has about 1,000

In the back of that on the left side on box, I have a binder that has my 1983/1984 Topps Football...Down to about 5 cards to complete. Then I have my unfinished sets, vintage, and Topps stickers.

Next to that on the far left side on box, I have a cardboard box that has all my Craig Biggio memorabilia, 2 Astros framed autos, couple complete sets, and whatever esle I forgot LOL

On the right side, far back I have my SI Kids collection, which I just went through and found a nuch of good RC. On top of that I have 5 shoeboxes of commons which I want to get rid of :) "hint hint"

In front of the SI kids box, I have my monster box which holds my collections in my sig, my tradebait, and my other PC collections. On the other side of the SI Kids box, I have a box of bubble wrap, my folders, and a box with team bags/penny sleves, and IP 8x10 autos. In front of that I have a showebox with my bubble mailers, and 2 graded cards I want to get rid of "hint hint"

Finally I have 2 800 count boxes, one with JA Sports cards in them, and one with toploaders.

There you go :)

You guys are wayyyyyyyyyy too organized. Except for the 7 two row boxes that house my Ripken collection (100% in toploads, tagged, and catalogued) I suspect most people's "storage space" (in quotes cuz it's always changing) looks much more like mine.

858.JPG

859.JPG

camping ya ninnymuggins, lol

hey, if i send pics from my phone, would anyone be able to get them on here. i'm illiterate and can't figure out, lol

paul

Here are a few shots of my closet, Kinda messy right now
IMG_0019.png
Upper Shelves
IMG_0020.png
More upper shelf
IMG_0021.png

Binders
IMG_0022.png

Part of desktop
IMG_0023.png

Not a great pic but these are all Maddux cards!
IMG_0598.png

I have an entire room dedicated to my collection. I have my sets in 800 ct boxes, organized by year and brand from 1970 thru 2011. These boxes are organized into card houses on shelf units that I picked up cheap at Home Depot. I also have my doubles organized on thier own shelf listed by year, bran, set and then in numberical order so that it makes it simple to find cards when I am trying to help others with thier sets. Just a little OCD shining thru. I'll let these older pictures do the talking. I have added a second shelf for my doubles, but do not have any recent pitctures.

sportsroom.jpg
sportsroom014.jpg
And the doubles:
sportsroom015.jpg

Thanks,

You guys are wayyyyyyyyyy too organized. Except for the 7 two row boxes that house my Ripken collection (100% in toploads, tagged, and catalogued) I suspect most people's "storage space" (in quotes cuz it's always changing) looks much more like mine.

858.JPG

859.JPG

the garages ive been 2 with that exact setup get those things in boxes if you ever sell them always seem to be trying to find somewhere to put em all after i buy them lol.also 1 collection i bought had autos of some like the picture in the top left corner wife was pissed on that 1 as the kids almost saw it lol

Last edited:
You guys have some impressive stuff!!! I love it!!!!
Happy Holidays,
Pete