why do people think there card is better than others?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I was going through Carlton Autos on e-bay and came across a sweet one. THe person was asking 50 bucks. I checked completed sales. i see one went for 15 bucks and one 18. The 18 was graded 9.5 with a 10 auto. He wants 50 bucks. I offered 18 bucks being that was high beacuse a graded one goes for that much and he declined. I dont mind that i as declined but why do people think they have gold. Do they think people dont reserch before they pay?
Sorry rant.. lol

2 other very real possibilities (other than cluelessness) :

1) some sellers will intentionally list a card with a high BIN just so they can get offers to gauge an accurate cash value of an item....often they will relist the card in the future with an opening bid near (or BIN slightly above) the highest offer submitted....

2) similarly , many sellers will place a high BIN a card they have no real intention of selling....despite their reluctance to part with it , there may just be somebody out there that would submit an "offer they couldn't refuse".....

I personally think there is a difference between pushing a product at auction and letting it sit for the right offer. A sample size of two auctions doesn't dictate market value IMO.

I personally think there is a difference between pushing a product at auction and letting it sit for the right offer. A sample size of two auctions doesn't dictate market value IMO.
Well the guy has been getting offers since october. There is also another one for buy it now at 30 bucks and that also has been sitting for a long time.

Personally I don't care too much about a seller's motivation.

Maybe their uncle Joe gave it to them 2 minutes before having a heart attack and passing on. Maybe it was the best pull of their life. Maybe.........??????

Who cares ? It's their card, they can ask what they want for it.

Sellers just want to sell and make a reasonable profit................Not throw it out there so some other joker can do the same..................Had a '03 on card Pujols auto that booked for $300 and I listed it at $265..............Everybody wanted to offer $100 - $150 so they could flip it and make the cash............Eventually sold it for $260, but it took a couple of months.............It's like fishing, throw the little ones back!

there are two sides to selling on ebay; the sellers' point of view and the buyers' point of view and ne'er the twain shall meet! unless they do, of course!

You're dealing with people, there is no rhyme or reason when dealing with people. I've watched people at shows pick up an item, excited as a kid at Christmas and exclaim "I've been looking for this card for 15 years! How much is it?" the dealer responded $10 and they put it down and said "what, that is way too much!" and walked away.

Personally I don't care too much about a seller's motivation.

Maybe their uncle Joe gave it to them 2 minutes before having a heart attack and passing on. Maybe it was the best pull of their life. Maybe.........??????

Who cares ? It's their card, they can ask what they want for it.
sure and that is all fine. But if you are trying to sell something why whould someone pay double for it when they could get it for half the price?

I'm confused. You see two "sweet" cards on Ebay, one @ $50, the other @$30, and you make an offer on the $50 one of $18. Now you could have bought a "$50" card for $30 but you did the "research" and saw sales much lower, so you equate that with the actual value of the card, and offer accordingly. Nowhere do you mention what the actual book value of this card is, which is pretty important to know to gauge whether this is an issue of a dealer thinking he has "gold", or just a buyer who is trying to get something on the extreme cheap.

I'm confused. You see two "sweet" cards on Ebay, one @ $50, the other @$30, and you make an offer on the $50 one of $18. Now you could have bought a "$50" card for $30 but you did the "research" and saw sales much lower, so you equate that with the actual value of the card, and offer accordingly. Nowhere do you mention what the actual book value of this card is, which is pretty important to know to gauge whether this is an issue of a dealer thinking he has "gold", or just a buyer who is trying to get something on the extreme cheap.

So you go by actual book value not by what they sell for? I go by what sales are for the card. not total book value. If you think you will get full book value of your card than you are kidding yourself.
I am not trying to get the card "on the extreme cheap" If so I would keep throwing prices to him. I offered what the going rate is for the card.
So you would pay right now 500 bucks for a card that books 500 but recent sells are 200? Have fun.......

So you go by actual book value not by what they sell for? I go by what sales are for the card. not total book value. If you think you will get full book value of your card than you are kidding yourself.
I am not trying to get the card "on the extreme cheap" If so I would keep throwing prices to him. I offered what the going rate is for the card.
So you would pay right now 500 bucks for a card that books 500 but recent sells are 200? Have fun.......

If you can't buy it for $18 then it's worth more otherwise you'd have it by now...............SV vs. BV is a great debate when trading cards, but not on eBay.............You wanted a deal and the other rejected you, period..............

If you can't buy it for $18 then it's worth more otherwise you'd have it by now...............SV vs. BV is a great debate when trading cards, but not on eBay.............You wanted a deal and the other rejected you, period..............
yea. i understand that. I also know when another pops up I will get it for around 15-18 bucks so I really dont care. I also would not of got a deal. 18 was alot to offer being graded 9.5's with a 10 auto sell for around 18 bucks. But he had free shipping so i felt id throw in a bit. but oh well. No skin off my teeth. This is a un numbered card (spelling?lol) and many were produced. he does have the right to put any price on it too. i just dont understand how you can have a card listed for 7 months plus with a few offers and still it doesnt move. What does that show you. Even the one card for 20 bucks less has been sitting for many months. I for one would like to get the sale over and fast. Doesnt e-bay keep charging you to keep it on there for that long?????:confused:

no i believe ebay gets their take when it sells. if you want the card that cheep shop COMC someone will toss one out on sale someday. but i for one just sold a card on COMC that Bv's 30 and sold it for 45 because it was one of the ring cards they have out in the series one sets. and Becketts doesnt always list a BV on a card especially if its low print. like just today i pulled a certified auto out of a heritage box a dual sandoval and opeda and there isnta bv on that card. so who knows why the two cards your looking to get dont sell for that long .

no i believe ebay gets their take when it sells. if you want the card that cheep shop COMC someone will toss one out on sale someday. but i for one just sold a card on COMC that Bv's 30 and sold it for 45 because it was one of the ring cards they have out in the series one sets. and Becketts doesnt always list a BV on a card especially if its low print. like just today i pulled a certified auto out of a heritage box a dual sandoval and opeda and there isnta bv on that card. so who knows why the two cards your looking to get dont sell for that long .
I need to check out this COMC thing i keep hearing alot about it

sure and that is all fine. But if you are trying to sell something why whould someone pay double for it when they could get it for half the price?

Now I see what you were asking. The answer is yes, if you're trying to sell something for double what the going rate is, that's a very bad business model. But like valediction said "You're dealing with people, there is no rhyme or reason when dealing with people"

Doesnt e-bay keep charging you to keep it on there for that long?????:confused:

Without taking into consideration any listing specials, YES you pay every time you list or relist. Stores, auctions, fixed price, whatever.