Why Do So Many People Here Think They...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichiganFan9

BANNED
5.00 star(s)
BANNED
are going to get autos or g/u for base cards. I have had 4 different people leave posts in my threads or pm me telling me they had base for me and wanted autos or g/u in return. I tested one guy. Told him I would like to work a trade for the base, but for the particular card he was asking for, I listed out about 10 different cards I liked from his page. I gave him the option to pick for me what he wanted to get rid of. His reply was, "forget the stamp, lets just do the base for gold and diamond anniversary." I am open to criticism. Am I way off here, or do I have a gripe? I just cant imagine telling someone, "hey, here are 25 base cards of '11 Topps Update worth .30 cents each. What autos do you have?" I guess I just dont think my stuff is worth more than what it is.

Some people are predators and if they get one trader who might not care to do that type of trade, then they feel all trades could be that way. In the end it's your choice to walk away with a No Thanks and add them to the ignore list.

let me understand this if i had 25 of your needs (base) and the total bv was $8.00 and it completed your set in one trade you would have a problem with me asking for a low end $8 auto from you -I wish someone had 25 of my base needs i would gladly send them an $8 auto

Everyone wants to get something THEY value in a transaction that involves their time and postage, but to expect people who have stuff you distinctly need and to have to just pick through base that you offer that might not meet their needs. I'm a setbuilder, but if it's not a set I working on I'm not just going to grab some other base. Personally if someone has what you were talking about which is $7.50 BV, then maybe it's best you send them a common $8 auto of their team they collect. Look for a win-win, I know there are a couple of times I've had a small transaction that by itself wouldn't be worth our efforts, but why not expand it and say I'll send you two of my team autos for those base and another auto of my team? There are no real hard and fast rules to trading, but each party has to be in a situation where they are satisfied, it's much easier to make that happen if you empathize with their needs and try to mesh it with your own.

I doubt they were asking for a low-end Auto.

Yeah, people are unscrupulously Predatorial. It is what sends me away every few months.

When I want to make a trade, I want HOF stuff, but don't have specific HOFers I want. Nonetheless, people want me to craft the deal too often. I want Hall Of Famers. Make me an offer.

End rant.

I do not have a problem trading an auto or game used cards for commons from a set that I have been working on. At the same time, I probably would not make this trade if the commons are from a brand new set and are readily available.

I generally agree with you, but I also feel like at this point in the development of the hobby, autographs are just another insert for the most part and not too many people are overly concerned about trading an insert for some commons they need

I trade autos for cards on my wantlist all the time. I will usually ask for a little extra since it is an auto I'm giving up but the most important thing for me is cash out of pocket. Figure it costs $2-$3 in postage to send $8-$10 worth of commons...not worth it....$.44 to send 1 auto. I save cash, the most important thing for me.

If you tell me to "check your list" for something to ask for in trade, then most likely you'll get an answer with the cards I like the most, regardless of value to you. If you send me a list of what you are willing to trade for my lot, then we work with that, right?

If you tell me to "check your list" for something to ask for in trade, then most likely you'll get an answer with the cards I like the most, regardless of value to you. If you send me a list of what you are willing to trade for my lot, then we work with that, right?

Yes, but when RIGHT IN THE THREAD ITSELF it says I have many dupes of this set I am wanting to trade for these, I would think maybe, just maybe, common sense would set in somewhere along the way.

I have seen people who list needs and then say they have stuff from the same set they want to trade for that, challenge is sometimes I have no need or interest in trading for stuff I either already have, don't need or don't want. I may have bought a box of say 2011 Topps Heritage just to see them and cherry pick what I want to keep. I may have no need or interest in acquiring anymore so in that case I may say, "Hey I have these you need for your set, do you have any **** that you may be willing to trade for them since I don't need any other 2011 Topps Heritage"... or whatever. I don't think it is offensive to ask, if that person doesn't want to trade what I am asking for to get what they need then that is fine. All they have to say is no or thanks but no thanks. If someone presented it to me and said they don't need/want what was listed in the thread I wouldn't be irritated or upset I think that is part of trading. Sometimes I just ignore "book value" that is typically subjective anyway and just get stuff I want in return. Obviously I won't be trading a 58 Topps Willie Mays for some Cardinals base, but you get the point.

I see both sides of the argument here. I don't mind moving a low-end gu/auto for my base needs, even if I lose a few bucks in BV because I'm getting rid of a card I don't really want for stuff I do care about.
However, I have run into a few traders who totally try to take advantage of me. I've run into one guy several times who asks for the same high-end auto (~$125 BV) for a handful of common base cards.
Truthfully, I've found that most people on The Bench are trustworthy and upstanding, and on the occasions as a newbie trader I've offered to overpay, they've let me know.
--Jeremy

I would gladly do it,if it finished a set or got me close.
Same applies to an auto for an SP.An $8.00 auto(I'm
not too interested in) for a $5.00 or $6.00 SP(I need),
anytime.
Ken

Last edited:
Does anyone actually collect GU cards anymore. Talk about overplayed!

I'd trade anything for anything as long as I felt the deal was right. I generally prefer to trade like for like though...vintage for vintage, autos for autos, etc.

There are a lot of autos and GU that might as well be base though, with inflated BVs.

ill trade if any one wants base from 80's / 90's give me a team /player
25 my cards for 3 base of players you may have doubbles of from ttm
autographed will even trade more if you need have all mfg if you want 500 base i got them lets talk

I do not have a problem with trading base cards for GU or Auto, if the trade is for cards that I can use to complete sets I am working on. I prefer to trade BV for BV and if the deal makes sense then do it if not you can always walk away. Just my 2 cents.