how do you make custom cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sturgeon

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
i dont have much computer savvy when it comes to this sort of thing. i just use it to get here and a couple other sites (sports related). now i send out baseballs to older players i dont have cards for but i think it will be easier if i make some custom cards universal for older players and negroe league players. can anyone help out? ive looked at buying some but i just need one for each player not 25. so any help would be appreciated. thanks

P.S. would be nice if there was a place you can go to read or see the basics, im sure not everyone including young kids know how to do this.

i hear ya on custom cards i know topps alows you to make cards, but i am sure you would have to use a open source pic for the card, but i am not sure on the quanity.

there are a few guys here making there own too maybe one or two will pick up this thread for ya. i know when i get the time i will make a card for myself like that your talking about but i am still not sure how to do it as of yet, but have froiends who do lol.
dave

It's really easy. You can use photoshop or Picture It (what I use.....VERY easy to mess with, but effects are limited) as programs. The hardest thing is getting the card stock thickness.

I'm nowhere near the best, but I can help out the best I can if you give me an idea of what you want.

I have made a few customs, I use Microsoft Publisher for mine. If you open up Publisher you will be brought to a screen which shows various projects. The very first on the list is Blank Page Sizes. Scroll down to the business card section and you will see 3.5 x 2.5 or 2.5 x 3.5 which is the size of a basic baseball card. You can then locate a pic online somewhere of the player you are interested in sending to. I usually check Ebay because a lot of people sell neat photos on there and you would be amazed at the selection, or you can get them from anywhere. The bigger the better in regards to a photo. You then insert your photo into the Publisher project and resize it to the entire white area of the screen. This will make it the same size as a baseball card. From there you can choose whatever effects you would like to integrate into your custom. Name plate, team logo, etc

I make Cardinal customs and for my team logos I use www.sportslogos.net . They have just about every logo for every team with many of them having transparent backgrounds making it an easy add to your custom.

For printing I use a low or semi gloss paper so it still has a bit of grit to the front of it for the auto to stick to.

hey thanks for the info. im just trying to make a basic universal card that i can pretty much use for anyone. older cards are to expensive for me to buy and then may or may not get back. now that i read how to put pictures on and make it more personal i might try it but ill stick with a basic type card for now.

I have made a few customs, I use Microsoft Publisher for mine. If you open up Publisher you will be brought to a screen which shows various projects. The very first on the list is Blank Page Sizes. Scroll down to the business card section and you will see 3.5 x 2.5 or 2.5 x 3.5 which is the size of a basic baseball card. You can then locate a pic online somewhere of the player you are interested in sending to. I usually check Ebay because a lot of people sell neat photos on there and you would be amazed at the selection, or you can get them from anywhere. The bigger the better in regards to a photo. You then insert your photo into the Publisher project and resize it to the entire white area of the screen. This will make it the same size as a baseball card. From there you can choose whatever effects you would like to integrate into your custom. Name plate, team logo, etc

I make Cardinal customs and for my team logos I use www.sportslogos.net . They have just about every logo for every team with many of them having transparent backgrounds making it an easy add to your custom.

For printing I use a low or semi gloss paper so it still has a bit of grit to the front of it for the auto to stick to.

Good stuff to know.
-Rob

Just got my MS publisher today and made a card, now i need to get that paper. but it was much easier than trying to monkey with photoshop. and Stergon, if your still wanting to make that card i can try to help, would be interseting to learn how to make more of em. send me an IM and your idea and i will see what we can make up for ya.

dave