Reds in Pensacola - 1990 WORLD SERIES ADDITION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken Griffey, Sr. is/was in town for some batting coaching...this was an awesome opportunity to get a GREAT from the Big RED Machine!!!!!!!!!!

87Topps_GriffeySr_zpsc7073889.jpg

OH THATS COOL! I didnt know he was still with the organization, and have never seen that 87 Topps before! You cant imitate true cool, and 87 Topps is the series that got me into cards in the first place. AWESOME!!

OH THATS COOL! I didnt know he was still with the organization, and have never seen that 87 Topps before! You cant imitate true cool, and 87 Topps is the series that got me into cards in the first place. AWESOME!!

I was totally stoked. I was watching the P'cola news late Wednesday night half asleep and saw an interview with him at the ballpark. I knew I was going to the game last night so I found a couple cards and took them with me not knowing if he was still there. When I saw him, I said "Mr. Griffey would you sign a couple cards for me?" and he kind of chuckled and said "a couple?" like a question...he wasn't being rude just kind of cynical and I said " well, at least one?" and he said "Yeah, I think we'll do one" and he was kind of playing to the little audience that was there....it was cool, I only wish now I had him sign the '85 instead of the '87 but it all happened too fast. :)

That is hilarious, at least he signed for you....you will easily have a chance to get your 85 signed, that is a neat card too!

I am glad he took you up on it, I remember meeting Darryl Strawberry a few years ago at a church event, Kurt Warner and Aeneas Williams were speaking, and Darryl was standing by himself in the lobby of the church, and I quietly walked up to him, said hello and asked him to sign something for me, and he said no. I said thanks anyway, and started to walk away, and a few minutes later saw him taking photos with people....I know he has had a lot of personal problems, but come on now!!

Long and short of it, congrats, glad it worked out for you Brian!!

Nice Reds haul beach bum and that Griffey is very cooool, Griffey Sr. is a tough signer….

No doubt..........funny thing was most of the kids there didn't know who he was there was only a couple old guys like me that did and the other guy that Griffey signed for signed a Cincinnati Reds vintage Jim Beam bottle that had Bench's auto on it already so its not like we (the little crowd there) wore Mr. Griffey out, I think he signed two things total.

Got to meet Eric Davis, my absolute #1 baseball idol last night in Pensacola. Very cool story behind it but I won't post it here, he did sign 2 RCs and a second year card for me with no trouble...hung out a few minutes and talked. We shook hands 3 times, he was not rude or stand-offish at all like many say he is...he was busy however making a big bowl of frozen yogurt so I would agree he was distracted. :)

EricDavis85T_zpsd1ef61d2.jpg

EricDavis86F_zpsf85f8aaf.jpg

EricDavis85F_zpsf63d2e8a.jpg

That is just awesome Brian, I am so glad you got to meet your all time favorite! Would love to hear the whole story in a later post too!

That is just awesome Brian, I am so glad you got to meet your all time favorite! Would love to hear the whole story in a later post too!

Kevin, thanks for the acknowledgment. You would definitely understand about being led to do something you wouldn't ordinarily do and this was one of those moments. I don't want to make it out to be some major divine intervention but it was no coincidence IMO. I've been patiently waiting for that moment for a long time.

That's awesome! My parents used to see Davis back when he was playing A ball in Cedar Rapids before I was born.

Now that would have been cool but back in the day he was just an average minor league kid. I wonder what the minors looked like back then?

Kevin, thanks for the acknowledgment. You would definitely understand about being led to do something you wouldn't ordinarily do and this was one of those moments. I don't want to make it out to be some major divine intervention but it was no coincidence IMO. I've been patiently waiting for that moment for a long time.

Yes sir, I do believe things work out as they are supposed to, I saw your photo in your Beachalbum!! and loved how he had his uniform on, and was also holding his yogurt cup....he looks like a man who enjoys his frozen treats and toppings (much like myself!).....in any event, very cool story, and glad it worked out, that has got to be the capstone of a great collecting and IP career! How perfect that you had his cards too, being near the ballpark. I have met people and have had a ton of stuff at home, but they just don't wait around!!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc