So...You want to be a player Super Collector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sorry I didnt answer these questions earlier:

1: Super collector applications are based on total number of cards listed by beckett( i know beckett isnt complete but they are the most complete available and generally beckett is the standard when trading so that is what we decided to use) including Autos 1/1's and gu cards. a good rule of thumb is if someone already has supercollector status for a player you are considering applying for, use their totals aas a benchmark.

2: The low number does not mean that you would be inelligible, all applications are looked at on there own merit wheter a player has 7000 cards or just a few hundred.

3: applying to be a super collector of a player but only of a particular team will not be accepted, if you are worthy of a supercollector tag then you should be a super collector and collect everything of that player.

4: 1/1's must be included in total number of cards

At the moment there are no plans for super team collectors

First, I have a lot of Nomar Garciaparra cards but I only have a few of his g/u pieces. Would I be able to gain status if I owned a large percentage of his overall cards but only a few g/u and/or autographed pieces?

Second, Trot Nixon is actually my favorite player but he has only 1116 cards listed on Beckett. Does the low number of total available cards hinder my chances of SC status; afterall, 30% is a pretty good goal, but out of 1116 that's only 335 cards--would that be enough with g/u and auto cards thrown in??

Third, what if I wanted to gain SC status for Wade Boggs, but only his for his Red Sox cards?? What Red Sox fan wants to collect his Yankees or Devil Rays cards, really?!? Say I could come up with my stats for all his Red Sox issues only--as long as the collection were sizeable and had some good Red Sox g/u and autos, etc., could that qualify me for SC status as a Wade Boggs (Red Sox Only) Super Collector?

Fourth, are 1/1's a requirement or just "extra credit"?

AND LAST QUESTION...

Are there any plans for a "Team" Super Collector in the future?

I realize I can only qualify for one player, so it would help to have answers to the above questions before I decide who to focus on.

I have more Nomars than anything else, but adding autos would be MUCH more expensive than those of Trot Nixon or even Wade Boggs.

I have almost an equal percentage of Trot Nixons collected PLUS he's my favorite player! I think it would be cheaper to gain SC status for Nixon. I already have some auto and game-used cards, and more are pretty easy to come by--plus even his singles are cheaper. Availability of singles and 1/1's might be other issues...

Then again, I probably have a much higher percentage of Wade Boggs' RED SOX cards than I do Nomar's or Nixon's TOTAL cards. I don't plan on adding too many Yankee pinstripes or Devil Rays cards to my personal collection anytime soon though (no offense!) so if cutting 2/3 of Wade's total cards out means I can't be a super collector, then I have to go with Nomar or Trot.

Any answers you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Can or will there be multiple "Super Collectors" of the same player? For example "robe024", "RyanL24", and myself all have pretty large collections of Rickey Henderson. Also can a member be a Super Collector of more than one player?
Tim

Not to worry Tim, RyanL24 doesn't have a 5.0 rating. ;) ;)

i posted for trot nixon super collector quit a while ago and havnt heard any thing on it . just wondering what the status is with that

Just raising the question again of a member being a Super Collector of more than one player?
Tim

I believe they have limited it to any one player per person.

I was more curious to see how many different people could be identified as supercollectors of a single player though. In my mind, a supercollector is THE top collector of that player. If there is a card they need, then they get it. Money plays a roll for sure. Supercollectors aren't called casualsupercollectors for a reason. Of course that would mean you could be stripped of your SC status if a more qualified SC came along. Would make for an interesting and unique title for sure!!

The Bench supercollecter tag is more an pride thing than anything else. I doesn't get you anything or make you a better person. If someone wants to call themselves supercollector in thier sig I see nothing wrong with that. Heck, change you legal name to Supercollector if you want.

Frankly, until we put this in place I NEVER once called myself a supercollector. But now that it has SOME meaning attached to it I rather like it. It feels good to be recognized for what I have ALREADY accomplished with my collection and not just what I want to accomplish.

Heck, change you legal name to Supercollector if you want.

:p

Here is how I see it, I am not a serious player collector. But, I can see the guys who really are those Super Collectors. I am not going to say who I think is, and who I think isn't, but its just a different class.

Like completing those Topps Chrome rainbows of your guy, or getting all the auto variations of that set, its just a different class of collectors.

As for the money thing, that's why I stopped trying to be a player collector, IT IS EXPENSIVE but I think you have to spend some money to buy the cards you need, or buy the cards to trade for the cards you need.

My 2 Cents,
Ben

I believe they have limited it to any one player per person.

I was more curious to see how many different people could be identified as supercollectors of a single player though. In my mind, a supercollector is THE top collector of that player. If there is a card they need, then they get it. Money plays a roll for sure. Supercollectors aren't called casualsupercollectors for a reason. Of course that would mean you could be stripped of your SC status if a more qualified SC came along. Would make for an interesting and unique title for sure!!

That would be awesome!!!

I don't really understand why I can't be a supercollector of 3 players though, well like bigalbert says I really can huh? just put it in my sig... but I don't want to seem all proud and snooty like that, right wwe? ;)

That would be awesome!!!

I don't really understand why I can't be a supercollector of 3 players though, well like bigalbert says I really can huh? just put it in my sig... but I don't want to seem all proud and snooty like that, right wwe? ;)

Heck, I don't know anything anymore. Well, I do know that I'm geeked about Jr. playing in Seattle tonight. 4 hours and counting.
clapping.gif

I hope JadeRock's collection qualifies too, because it has to be the most superest player collection I've ever seen.

It has inspired me in my own player collecting, and I think he's really the only one I can say that about! Trifecta... beautiful!!!!

Last edited:
Read the OP. It clearly states what needs to be done.

Since this is a trade tool you need to have an up-to-date want or have list of the player, must have 20 completed trades and a 5.0 Trader Rating!

Being primarily a set collector, I feel kind of left out or excluded from the party. Could the same general guidelines used for player collectors be used for set and/or team players? I ask because limiting the supercollector title to player collectors seems to endorse a particular type of collecting - although I certainly don't see the title being used maliciously to purposefully promote player collecting or anything.

Basically, I can see that a collector would be a player supercollector with x number of cards with z number of parallels, y number gu, w number autos, etc as determined by the mod team - but a team supercollector could have similar (or even greater) numbers with regard to a specific team. Set collectors could use a different rubric of some sort.

Right now, a player supercollector could have $50K worth of cards in his collection but a set/team collector could have a $75K collection and not be considered a supercollector.

At the moment there are no plans for super team collectors

I have been reading some of the post to this and I'm amused that this title of Super Collector has brought so much attention, some of it negative. It's a simple tag for a player collector. Just like adding that long saught after RC, it feels great once you get your hands on it and adding it to your collection.

I have been collecting Magglio ordonez seriously since mid 2000. Since then I have been deployed 3 times with the military and upon my return I have gone back and put some serious money to get to where I'm at now. So for me if this gets added to my sig, I'll go smoke me a nice Honduran cigar and down a few shots of Tequila. (not recommended for the weak) so for those who feel this is cool to have, keep doing what you do, for does that think this idea stinks, keep doing what you do. It only makes a difference to the individual and that is "ME". Thanks for the great site guys.

Ricardo