2012 Collecting Goals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I would be happy to reach these goals in 2012.

1. complete 20 sets (Could be easy since I currently have so many set needs)
2. reach 60% on Luke Hughes collection, after the new releases come out
3. complete 1986-1988 Topps football (This may cost a bit)
4. get rid of unneeded commons
5. Get organized (Add hockey cards to tradelist, Organize and add football cards to tradelist, etc., etc.)
6. Stay organized :)

Curtis

1. Get to 4000 different Chipper Jones cards. 3710 on 12/31/11.
2. Get to 200 different Ray Rice cards. 100 on 12/31/11.
3. Redesign my hobby website.
4. Attend the National in Baltimore. :D

The Chipper goal might be a stretch since I only added 200 different ones in 2011. We'll see. :)

I'm looking to get better organized as most.

Also looking to trade for a "Big Ben" auto.

That's about it for now. Butch

Going to revise mine to include the Giambi collection:
Goal is to be at 10% for Jason Giambi by the end of the year.
Goal is to be at 25% for Jeremy Giambi by the end of the year.

:D
Jason

Fully organize my Brewer team collection.

Put a large dent in my Topps Brewers base needs from 1980-2012.

I organized some but I tried to create some "focus" in my collecting wants (those in my signature)

Some dent in my Topps base needs- I repeat some.

How did everyone else do?

1. Get to 4000 different Chipper Jones cards. 3710 on 12/31/11.
2. Get to 200 different Ray Rice cards. 100 on 12/31/11.
3. Redesign my hobby website.
4. Attend the National in Baltimore. :D

The Chipper goal might be a stretch since I only added 200 different ones in 2011. We'll see. :)

1. Currently at 3977 with 3 incoming, so not going to make it.
2. Currently at 167 with 1 incoming, but didn't end up focusing on this goal too much this year.
3. Maybe next year?
4. Check... and it was awesome. :)

Last edited:
I love reading these every year. I think mine are going to be similar to last year.

1 - Finish the sets I start. Looking at 2012 Series 1, 2, and Update, Heritage, Opening Day and Archives/Fan Favorites.

2 - Add at least 12 (1 per month) new Red Sox autographs of players I dont have

3 - Organize, Organize, Organize

4 - Finish 2011 Heritage and Heritage Minors (about 10 cards total for the 2 are still missing)

5 - On a personal level, lose 30 pounds (I am VERY serious about this one)

Thanks,

Jeff

1 - Yup and you can include Allen & Ginter in the list as well.
2 - Added a few but not sure if it was 12 or not. Didnt keep track of the new ones.
3 - As usual, epic failure.
4 - Yup done.
5 - Better than I expected - a little over half way there. Will get there this year.

Thanks,

Jeff

These are my collection goals for 2012 (in no particular order):

1. Add another actual game used jersey to my collection
2. Break 175 Lou Gehrig game used cards (currently at 164)
3. Have 150 game used patch cards (currently at 112)
4. Complete two game used sets
5. Finish these insert sets: 2006 Mantle HR, 2002 UD Piece of History master insert sets, 2005 SP Legendary Cuts master insert sets
6. Add one pre-war auto
7. Finish the 1968 Topps set

These are a little lofty but I try to aim high
Dewayne

So, as we close in on the end of the year what did I accomplish?

1. Add another actual game used jersey to my collection (added two - both should be arriving any day - for good posterity: Fred McGriff 1995 Braves Alt and Mark Teixeira 2008 Braves road)
2. Break 175 Lou Gehrig game used cards (I started at 164 and am currently at 215)
3. Have 150 game used patch cards (I started at 112 and am currently at 149 - anyone want to trade me a patch card, lol)
4. Complete two game used sets (finished two: 2005 SP Legendary Cuts "Legendary Lineage" and 2007 Sweet Spot Classic "Classic Memorabilia")
5. Finish these insert sets: 2006 Mantle HR, 2002 UD Piece of History master insert sets, 2005 SP Legendary Cuts master insert sets (I only completed the 2002 UD Piece of History master insert sets, but one out of three isn't bad)
6. Add one pre-war auto (I actually added a few but none I did not already have so this is on the fence as if I count it as complete or not)
7. Finish the 1968 Topps set (I fell 20 short but started about 80 away)

Here is to finishing everything next year!
dewayne

Last edited:
1. Get graded Rickey Henderson and Reggie Jackson RCs. Kind of a big hole in an A's collection to not have those two.
2. Check 2 cards off my Trent Dilfer wantlist. I would have made it 1 because it's been a year or two since I've been able to find any, but I have one on the way from an eBay auction. :)
3. Double the size of my pre-war A's collection. Shouldn't be overly difficult because I just have 3 currently. (T206 Chief Bender & Jack Barry, 1934 Goudey Bob Johnson)
4. Update my website by checking my wantlists and adding any cards I missed, as well as adding complete wantlists for Rickey Henderson, Mark McGwire, and Reggie Jackson.
5. Complete 2012 Topps base and update sets, and finish 5 other sets I currently have incomplete or haven't started yet.
6. Complete 200 Bench trades during the year. This is the easy one since I had 270 in 2011.

Richard

Hmm how did I do...
1. I got a PSA 7 Rickey Henderson RC, but the Reggie Jackson RC has been pushed back to 2013.
2. I knocked at least 6 or 7 Trent Dilfer cards off my wantlist, my best year in a while. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a lot more next year but the former collector who is selling some stuff to me is taking quite a while...not very motivated.
3. I only picked up one pre-war card, a T206 Rube Oldring, so I didn't get to my goal. I did pick up bat cards of Mickey Cochrane and Home Run Baker (plus another Jimmie Foxx), though, so it wasn't a bad pre-war year. Plus I got a handful of early 50's A's cards.
4. I did not add wantlists for Rickey, Reggie, and McGwire to my site. I did do massive updates to my wantlists for Dilfer, Xavier Nady, Barry Zito, Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder, and Eric Chavez, though. Those are most of the updates that will take up a lot of time.
5. I did complete 2012 Topps 1, 2, and Update sets. I don't think I finished 5 other sets, though. Maybe 2 or 3.
6. Goal met, 242 Bench trades completed in 2012. My goal for 2013 is to reach 1,000 Bench points...I'm 176 away so it's doable for certain.

Richard

Guess I will throw my goals out there:

1. Get to 90% complete on my 1972 Topps set. Currently at 84% but the high #'s are brutal. Only picked up a few but knocked up some big ones. High #'s are still brutal.

2. Get to 90% complete on my 1971 Topps set. Currently at 81%. See above. The black borders are hard to find in nicer condition but I will hopefully do a little better next year.

3. Get to 90% complete on my 1960 Topps set. Only at 79% now so this one may be tough. Got no where near this one.

4. Complete the 1975 SSPC set. I have been working on this set for years and the last 8 cards are being really difficult. Only picked up one of these. If you have any let me know.

5. Complete the 1964 Giants, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Deckle, 1970 Story Booklets, and 1977 Cloth sets. Down to last 22 cards to finish all these sets. But as you can probably figure out most of them are the bigger money cards.

1.Only picked up a few but knocked up some big ones. High #'s are still brutal.

2.The black borders are hard to find in nicer condition but I will hopefully do a little better next year.

3.Got no where near this one.

4.Only picked up one of these. If you have any let me know.

5.Only need one more for the 1970 Story's but the cloth may be a little hard to find.

Last edited:
2012 COLLECTING GOALS

1. Complete at least 50 trades here on The Bench-( did 46 last year )

2. Reach 500 post- currently at 400

3. Complete my 1967 Topps Football set- 6 cards to go

4. Complete or at least knock down by half my 1968 and 1969 Topps Football set needs—down to needing 98 for my ’68 set and 109 for my ’69 set

5. Organize my Steelers players collection—catalog what I have and make a needs list of players I want and cards I need of each player- currently I’ve done none of this.

6. In reguards to item #1- would like to help at least 5 members finish there set needs by having the last cards they need to complete there set/sets.

7. Go to the National in Baltimore this year- was not able to go last time there.

I hope all members make their goals or at least enjoy working on them this year.

Happy New Year to all and good luck
George

Ok I did not do too well on my goals this year

1. Only did 7
2. Did not happen-at 437
3. DONE
4. Done- Down to 24 on my ’68 set and 22 on my ’69 set
5. DID not do anything
6. Helped out 2 members
7. Did not make it again

Had a lot of things going on this past year with work, and also remolded both of my bathrooms—tile floor, sheetrock shower stall and new bath with wall inserts and vanities and new flooring in my master bedroom as well as painting. This took all my last part of summer and all of fall, so may not have reached my collecting goals, but did my wife’s goals done!!!